Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine Day to you

I had to call and cancel our tax prep appointment. The woman on the phone said, “That’s okay Judy couldn’t make it in either.”
I had gotten up at 5 when the alarm went off only to remember that LP’s school was already closed, and I don’t have to go into work either and BP has a few days off, so I went to pee and got back into bed when this buzz started happening. No, it wasn’t a sexual thing. It sounded like what happens when a smoke detector’s battery is low. I checked LP’s room, the kitchen and our bedroom and it wasn’t coming from any of those. I nudged BP and told him, “Get up! Something’s buzzing. Go find it.” He said, “Now?” and I said, “Yes, please.” When he’s away on business I usually have to handle things like this, so I figured it was his turn.
So I snuggled back into the covers while he went on a hunt. He couldn’t figure it out either but thought it was the carbon monoxide detector in the basement. So he went down there to look (he took his ciggies to smoke one while he was down there, so the trip wouldn’t be a complete wash out). About ten minutes later he came back. The buzzing had stopped and it was the carbon monoxide detector battery. Case solved and he came back to bed.
It’s 9am and he’s still sleeping. I’m up with the cat, having my coffee. I went outside and there’s a four foot drift up against my neighbor’s house.
When LP comes home from Jordan’s he’ll have to shovel because I have to get to the store today. I used the last of the milk for my coffee.
I hope restaurants are opened today because I want a nice Valentine’s Day dinner.
We’re the lucky ones though, a lot of Hoosiers were without power because a lot of people got sleet and damaging ice instead of just snow. I hate ice—unless it’s served with a gin and tonic.

Here’s a shout-out to
1. My newspaper carrier. Through all the bad weather he manages to still get up and toss up paper on the porch by six am.

2. To the US Mail. I saw my carrier, Marcia, through the window yesterday. She appeared to be three times as big as normal. She was walking like that giant Pillsbury Dough Boy in Ghostbusters. She must have had on four or five layers of clothing. God Bless her heart.

3. To the Street Department workers. I heard the plow early, early this morning clearing our street. I only hope they’ll soon clear the alleyways too.

3 comments:

Bert Bananas said...

Jilly, if you were in SoCal, you could have golfed today.

I did...

Anonymous said...

Emma, sorry its late...but here's my gift to you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA

The Broards said...

I said, that was HILARIOUS!!!! (and very very cheap of you!) At least you could have made it the extra strength jumbo size