Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Read a Banned Book this week!

Oh shit. I'm getting forgetful in my old age. We're smack dab in the middle of National Banned Books Week and I didn't give it a Shout Out.

Banned Books

This is the time to remember how stupid it it to ban or challenge books at the library or even in your own home. The Freedom to Read should be coveted by all.

BBW was started by the American Library Association and now encompasses other pro-reading organizations, including EmmaWrites, Inc and Emmerica (all rights reserved).

Next time you hear a Stupid Person say that they don't think Little Johnny or Little Brittney Cristina (or you or me for that matter) should not read a book because it contains any or all of the following: witchcraft, anti-religious characters, menstruation talk, masturbation chat, homosexual references, etc. --just do society a favor and bite them on the leg. While they're sitting in the ER getting rabies shots their children can be reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Next time you hear a Stupid Person say that they don't think Little Johnny or Little Brittney Cristina (or you or me for that matter) should not read a book because it contains any"

This sentence doesn't make sense. I mean shouldn't it have stopped after "they don't think" ;-) ?

Clank Napper said...

I have just been to a list of all the books ever banned and challenged. Can't believe the Great Gatsby was under an attempted ban. I love that book.

However, thankful that Ulysses WAS probibited. What a bloomin drag. Wish it had been banned when I was attempting it.

Ban Gone with the Wind? Hahahaha!

Waltzing Matilda said...

Clank, what I always heard about Ulysses was that the Supreme Court ruled it was so boring that nobody would ever read far enough to get the the good stuff. Indeed, when I heard that story I said, "Ulysses had sex in it?"

If parents want to try and limit/monitor what THEIR kids are reading, that's their prerogative, and good luck to them in trying to actually do that. But, don't tell ME what MY child and/or I may/maynot read.

Anonymous said...

All the good stuff in Ulysses is in the last chapter, unlike The Godfather, which gets into the good stuff along about Page 26.