Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hello????

1. Just when did "at the end of the day" become a wind up a national catch phrase? Watch a news interview show and tell me if someone does not say, ". . . at the end of the day, it's his fault." " . . . at the end of the day, Iraq is a quagmire." " . . . at the end of the day, George W. Bush is the 'decider.'" News shows, television shows, it's all about "the end of the day."


2. Remember when everyone said "HELLO!!!???" as if the comment s/he made was so earth shattering everyone knew what they were talking about? "HELLO?????!!! I said this meeting is bogus."



3. Remember when white girls copied black girls and said, "Oh, no you dit int!" with an attitude? I said this to one of my younger staff members last week--with a snap. She snorted, "Gawd! you're too old and white TO SAY THAT!!!" She was right, but it was funny.




4. Remember when everyone said "NOT!" at the end of a sentence? "You're so handsome . . . . NOT!" I think SNL started that. That got old really fast but people still say it. "Sure you can go home at 3 today . . . . . NOT!" "Bert sure has a long penis . . . . .. NOT!" harhar



19 comments:

schell said...

That "not" thing used to really piss me off.

Anonymous said...

I say "at the end of the day" all the time. And it must really piss people off, cos it pisses me off when I do it.

vq said...

Here's an odd little saying I've noticed for the last six months or so: any time we eat at a restaurant (which means practically all the time), we've noticed that the waitperson nearly always comes by and says, "How's everything tasting?"

Not, "how is everything?" or "how does everything taste," but always the tastING. What's that about, I wonder?

Anonymous said...

i work with someone that ends every sentence with "and all that". it drives me crazy. if she said "at the end of the day and all that" i would have to probably slap her.

Anonymous said...

My sister in law says "You Guys" all the time. As in "Do you guys want to come to the park?" Which might not sound very unusual to you, but we are English, living in England, and it sounds very out of place.

She watched Friends a lot. Enough said.

Anonymous said...

My pet hate at the moment is " Push the envelope " wtf does push the envelope mean?

The Broards said...

Spidey, do this:

Next time she says "and all that" put up both your splayed hands and shout "JAZZ!" and all that jazz. GIT IT? You'll get a rep of being weird

Anonymous said...

i think i already have the rep of being wierd but your idea sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Spidey, and make sure to use jazz hands when you do that.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard "Push the Envelope" in what context is it used?

The Broards said...

Pushing the envelope means you're going above and beyond, either in a good way or a bad way.
Example: Bjork's Duck dress for the Oscars a few years ago really pushed the envelope of good taste

Anonymous said...

stupid fucking phrase

vq said...

I kinda think the phrase came from test pilots, who used it to describe when they were trying to break the sound barrier.

Bert Bananas said...

"The Envelope" was what was known. Pushing the envelope means going where you don't know for sure what's going to happen. You may think you do, and you may be correct, but you don't know till you try.

Anonymous said...

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/push-the-envelope.html

stupid fucking phrase

The Broards said...

lol Mems

Roger said...

Here, we talk about things happening in "the Sweet Bye-&-Bye."

R

Bert Bananas said...

I divorced my first wife for two reasons. One was her inability to stop saying, "That light isn't going to get any greener."

UrbanStarGazer said...

The phrase that I currently despise is, "No worries".

I hate, hate, hate, hate it.