Sunday, February 04, 2007

Christmas Lights

1. I thought of Schell this morning while reading The Born Loser Sunday comic. His wife was whining that they still have the Christmas lights up. The BL said that he had it planned that way. He put up green strands of lights and red strands of lights. Now he’s going to turn on just the red for Valentine’s Day, and in March he’ll turn on just the green for St. Paddy’s Day! Way to plan!

2. I drove to pick up LP at Craigan's house this morning and the car thermometer registered 3 degrees outside. Now that's damn cold. Brrrrr. I'm staying inside for the rest of the day.

3. I'm halfway through my Underground book. Who used to come into the Shelf and announce, "I'm 3 and 7/16's through the book I'm reading." Was it Max Pi?

4. Since my son was wearing a hoodie (or jeans, or a tshirt, etc.) for three hours then pitching it on his floor and putting on something else, and since I was doing four loads of his laundry to every one load for BP and me, we worked out an arrangement. I'll do his towels and sheets, but he's responsible for doing all of his own laundry: Sorting, washing, drying, hanging up and putting it away. This has been in effect for three weeks and now it's old hat. "Will you take my stuff out of the dryer if I'm at Jordan's?" "No." "Will you just do a load of my jeans for school this week?" "No." And let me tell you, I think he's learning. This week he wore the same hoodie two days in a row! Can you believe that shit???!!! We're saving water and detergent. He'll have to learn to do laundry when he's out of the house, so he may as well start now. It's a good life skill.

4 comments:

schell said...

Emma, I do about 8 loads of laundry a week, and JJ makes up half of that. He must have the same clothing habits as LP.
Two weeks ago we had a family meeting, and laundry was one of the topics...things have changed somewhat, but I sense a laundry embargo coming on.

Anonymous said...

those of us who don't do other peoples laundry do not have a clue. spidey

Bert Bananas said...

"the car thermometer registered 3 degrees outside"

I feel terrible for you! I'm glad I didn't read this until I got back from golf so that as we made our way around the course, in shirt sleeves and shorts, I didn't have to feel sorry for you.

Anonymous said...

We're having this problem in my little world too. I am quickly learning--teenagers--who'd want 'em...