Monday, September 10, 2007

wireless mouses and 28 fucking lotto tickets

BP had the bright idea to hook up one of his computers to our flat screen TV in the living room. He also bought a wireless mouse and keyboard (We had to take the mouse back because the range was like, two feet.) Now he can sit in “his” chair—he calls it “his” chair even though I had that chair before we were married---and surf. I asked him to increase the text size because I couldn’t read that little assed text size from 6 feet away.

He’s in his glory. Now if I’d only let him smoke upstairs here, he’d never leave “his” chair.

I’ve tried it out a few times, but I prefer being on the computer here at my desk.

------------------------------
Here’s another thing:

On Sunday I stopped at a little store----It was a Village Pantry, but you probably have Seven 11, or a Milk Barn, or something like that. I went in to get a quart of milk. I was in line behind a raggedy older woman who was buying lottery scratch off tickets.

ROW: I’ll take three of number 2, one of number 7 and four of number 6. No wait. Four of number 2.

Clerk: Four Number 2, one number 7 and four number 6. Nine dollars.

ROW: Nine dollars?

Clerk: uh huh.

ROW: Here’s a ten. Don’t give me a dollar back . . . I’ll just take another of number 7. No. Number 6!

Clerk: Okay

(Me being exasperated)

ROW: Okay. Now I want 28 Hoosier Lottos, each on its’ own ticket.

Clerk: 28 Lottos each on an individual ticket?

Me: Oh, Good Grief!

I put down the milk and left.

I mean, Jesus Christ. There were two people behind me and this old raggedy woman wants 28 lottery tickets, each on its’ own ticket??? That’s fucking rude!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

all annoying people should be used as organ donors.

Jenny Robin said...

gawd

Anonymous said...

i hate crap like that. i had to rent a movie for a class i'm taking and i stood in line waiting for the clerk to get off his cell phone and check me out. my guy finally yelled "hey, we have things to do, and there's a lage line." and the guy hung up and waited on us. i felt like i should have got the movie for free just because of he annoyance.

jilly

Bert Bananas said...

okay, okay... Here's my story: I was in Wal*Mart last week, buying a new optical mouse. I walk up front and there are three registers open, out of about 30 registers. There are "Associates" wandering around, chatting, sipping from water bottles, wine bottles, etc. I pick the shortest line, which is pretty long. I have just the one item. Being the patient, long suffering person that I am, I'm prepared to wait. A lady three people of ahead of me is doing that muttering that some people do in these situations. Finally she walks up to the greeter. I can't hear them, but the shopper is obviously demanding that more registers open. The greeter is shaking her head. The lady hands her the few items she had in her hand and walks out. Now here's the stupid thing, in terms of Wal*Mart's behavior: A Super Target opened across the street. I hadn't been in it. I stand there thinking that faced with competition, Wal*Mart should be trying harder. I look around and take in the Associates lounging around. So I walk up to the greeter and hand her the mouse. "I'm going to Target, too," I say. She nods at me, but won't meet my eyes. I drive across Hwy 18, where I find the same mouse for $8, yes, $8 cheaper!! I still have to get my sparkling water from Wal*Mart, but that's it! Bastards...

Clank Napper said...

All Walmart colleagues should be used for vivesection.

Except me of course :oD

Anonymous said...

I think everyone should be forced to pay cash and have it ready at the checkout I am tired of standing behind people who can;t remember their pin number

Anonymous said...

i hate people who don't write their check while waiting in line, but wait until after they've already had everything rang up; needed 25 coupons scanned in but half of them won't go, and she has bitch about that so the cashier will ring them in anyway; check the bill 3 times to ensure that they in fact ever squeezed every penny out of nowhere; let their screaming children run amock at the front of the store; needed everything rebagged in a special combination or order; and then wanted to pay 1/2 with a check and pay the other half three different ways (i love it when it's the end of the month and food stamps are low). oddly, this only happens to me when i go to the grocery store that borders a low income area near where i live. the prices are better, but the aggrivation gives me heartburn. I really think places like Trader joes and whole foods weren't invented to sell "better" foods, but to outprice 85% of the most annoying grocery shoppers. This doesn't mean there aren't annoying cheapass horrible people at these stores, but there are fewer of them.

Bert, i thought costco was your favorite place to buy bulk items for cheap.

jilly

Waltzing Matilda said...

Don't most stores have "Cash Only" lines? They do around here.

What gets me is when someone gets into the express line with way more than 20 items, wants to use multiple methods to pay, and their six kids are running around acting like monster grabbing stuff of the shelves.

I always have them press credit when I use my debit card because my bank charges a dollar every time I do it as a debit. That way I don't have to remember my PIN. Though, I chose it. I think it would be pretty sad if I forgot it.

Anonymous said...

No one has ever claimed a convenience store was really ever convenient.