Friday, September 14, 2007

Gino Vannelli and Valerie
















Old Gino














Young Gino



I saw an informercial ad for a CD collection of "Soft Rock." It featured the two Air Supply guys who I didn't like back when they were popular. Anyway, this collection included some Rod Stewart, Elton John, Chicago, Leo Sayer, Christopher Cross, Fleetwood Mac, and various One Hit Wonders. Probably had hundreds of songs on 13 CDs and cost just four (five) easy payments of $29.99 each.

It also featured a song by Gino Vannelli--who I haven't thought of in years. I lived in Clearwater Florida in the early 80's and my best friend was named Valerie. I think I've mentioned her in this blog before. She was the one who encouraged my first smoking of clove cigarettes. She was very funky and extremely cool and dated Arab men, and dressed in long flowy things and smelled of patchouli. Valerie adored Gino Vannelli and had posters of him in her Bohemian apartment.

I alsways used to tease her and say "If you married Gino Vannelli, you'd be Valerie Vannelli." It sounds lyrical.

Judging from the "old" Gino picture--he doesn't look half bad even today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is he related to Milli Vannelli?

~12Days~

mavis sidebottom said...

He looks like a woman in a bad wig

Anonymous said...

are you sure that is the same guy?

The Broards said...

Spidey, Google says it is, so it must be so

Anonymous said...

Ooh Emma, that brings back memories. In 1979, I went on a school trip to Montreal and "I Just Wanna Stop" (When I think of all those nights in Montreal/I get the sweetest thoughts of you and me) was a big hit that summer.

Anonymous said...

That first picture looks like FourFlights.