Saturday, August 11, 2007

Passport

As you may remember my passport (and BP's) came about a month or so ago. LP's was mailed about a week later than we mailed ours. We have yet to receive it. I just checked online for the status of his and learned that is has been mailed and should be here on 8/15.

That's more than five months since it was requested. If the government is going to change a rule about every American needsa passport to reenter this country, don't you think that somebody should have said, "We're going to be buried under applications. We need to hire A LOT of temporary workers so that people won't have to wait more than a month to receive a passport."?

If they have to charge a buck or two more for each passport--so be it. I think people would be willing to pay a few dollars more to receive their passports within a reasonable amount of time.

Make sense?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you were willing to pay a few dollars extra, why didn't you expedite it? You can pay an extra fee to get it in three weeks. - blu

UrbanStarGazer said...

Or . . . you could have just gotten a passport years ago and not had all these problems. I got mine when I was 18 even though I had no plans to go abroad at that moment. :-P

The funny thing is, when I got my passport, it didn't take nearly that long. You can't blame the government cuz you waited to the last minute. (Do I sound like Blu?)

The Broards said...

Urban,
I didn't wait until the last minute---we have no travel plans. But I think it's ridiculous that it took over five months to get a government document.


blu,
I said a FEW dollars--as in two...if you wanted the passport expedited you had to pay something like 25 dollars extra. Outrageous. Do you know how many navel oranges I could buy with 35 dollars

schell said...

Emma, I think I paid more than $25 for the expedited passport...for some reason I'm thinking it's $60.00. And, I totally agree. This whole passport thing was handled in the most screwed up way by the government.
If they weren't prepared to hire extra personnel, they should have made the passports mandatory in increments. Canada - 1/07, Mexico 1/08, Caribbean 6/08...etc, etc.

Jenny Robin said...

Schell, that's a good idea....incrementally

Anonymous said...

if it's a good idea, it's fairly clear that the bureaucracy will ignore it.

Clank Napper said...

We have to renew ours every 10 years. Every five if you are a child. How old are you Urban? Do you not have to renew yours now?

Anonymous said...

i went and looked it up clank, if you got your us passporot after the age of 16, then you need to renew it after 15 years. if you wait longer than 15 years, apparently you must reapply and complete the whole process again like you didn't have a passport before. why is it like this? i don't know.

jilly