Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sunday Stuff

1. It's Father's Day. It's been six years since my own father died, and I miss him and his gardening advice and suggestions. He was such a staunch Democrat that I think he and I would have had a good time together making fun of Dubya--now I must carry on by myself with that particular mission. He died a few months before September 11th but, despite having served in WW2 and Korea, he would not have supported the Iraqi war. His view was that America should only enter wars when we had a moral imperative, not because of a suspicion. My Dad would not have agreed to "Shock and Awe." He would have been shocked and appalled.

2. We need rain. Our best chance of getting some is on Tuesday. I will keep fingers, toes and eyes crossed until then.

3. I believe I am having the occasional hot flash. At night it's blanket on, then blanket whipped off, blanket on, blanket whipped off. They happen during the day too. What a drag.

4. Miss Kiki Marie aka Sis aka Cat aka "MOVE!" aka Nesta hunted down a fly yesterday, cornered it against a living room window, caught it and promptly ate it. Maybe she needs more protein in her diet. Why does this cat seem to want to jump out in front of my moving feet, like she's in Parade Lead and get it the way? Maybe Rosa can answer that.

5. I don't want to do even one productive thing today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

we need rain too. we were supposed to get some last night, but nary a drop fell. is that how you spell nary? anyway, on the hot flash thing... i am experiencing the same thing. sometimes i think i am simmering from the inside out. i wouldn't be suprised if i burst into flames. a fan blowing all night long helps a bit.

Anonymous said...

Go out and get yourself the latest Vanity Fair magazine. It is all about helping Africa, why we should, what's actually going on there and many interesting facts most Americans/Emmericans don't know. The magazin has 20 different covers on the inside (you'll understand when you get the magazine)but the one you will see on the newstands is of Desmond Tutu talking to Brad Pitt. It has an article on Bill Clinton in it and is very anti Bush although they do say the only thing Bush has done worthwhile in his Presidency is his aid to Africa. I get Vanity Fair delivered so I am not sure it's on newstands yet but if it is it seems like it's right up your alley as something you be interested in. Politics, world news, gossip. It's the only magazine I read cover to cover.

Anonymous said...

I've no answer to the cat must be leader thing. Gracie does that too...which is most annoying when it's 3 am and I have to pee.

Cats like to hunt and eat bugs--mine go after flies, spiders, moths, and roaches.

What's rain?

Anonymous said...

rain is what we have had in fucking bucket loads for the last 5 days I have developed webbed feet

Anonymous said...

time magazine has a great article based off a book, 'hungry planet' the article is called 'what the world eats.'
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1627056,00.html

the authors went around the world and found a typical family in different countries and calculated how much food was eaten by the families in a week and how much was spent on that food. they also talk about traditional foods, and mixing of cultures related to food. (the japanese stole chopsticks from china).

This is a link to the family photos and spendging info

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519_1373664,00.html

A family of 4 in germany spends ~$500 a week, A family of 6 from sudan living in a camp is chad spands about $1.23 a week, and many of the things they need, like dairy and meat, are not available to them. it made me sad and resolute to donate to the world food program for the people of sudan.

jilly

Anonymous said...

We now have the answer as to why we have Global Warming; it's all the Baby Boomer women having hot flashes. (Why can't I have one when it's cold outside?)

Anonymous said...

I lost my dad when I was 16, and Stewm just lost his dad earlier this year, so this was a strange Fathers Day for us. Sending you a big hug.....

I am sending over a bucket full of our rain for you, too.

Jenny Robin said...

plenty of rain here

and

this Africa issue of VF has been on the newsstands for a while now

Waltzing Matilda said...

I do that thing with the covers too. I'm too young for hotflashes I think. Though, it doesn't happen during the day.

I remember Beijing going nuts chasing a moth through the house in Staunton. I miss my kitty!