Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Bob/Eggs

I'm reading Bob Newhart's I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This. Good so far.

We had many thunderstorms today but a beautiful sunset so I guess it evened out.

BP will be out of town, so LP and I are going over to my youngest sister's for Easter this Sunday. I'm bringing a roasted shrimp and orzo salad that The Barefoot Contessa made. And Connie wants me to bring the deviled eggs. Bah. I haven't made those in ages. Anyone have anything special she adds to the yolk mixture besides mayo and mustard and paprika?

And is it true that if you put the eggs into cold water, bring them to a boil, cover the pan and let them sit for 15 minutes, you'll get perfect hard boiled eggs? How about shelling them? Run them under cold water? I hate when the shells don't come off in a nice neat pretty way.

I suppose I'll have to go grocery shopping either Friday or Saturday.

10 comments:

Jenny Robin said...

my grandmother would always add some pickle relish in the eggs...they were divine

regarding the boiled eggs method: yes, it works great (the sitting method)

I work on Easter. We have shortened hours.

schell said...

That's how I always cook my eggs, and they come out great.

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

sweet pickle relish and minced onions and of course paprika on top. And I use a pastry bag to fill them... slick as a whistle

Oh and I am a Miracle Whip girl... no Mayo

CatBoy said...

This "he" agrees with the "let them stand" method, although I only let them stand for 13 minutes.

Then I drain the water and fill the pan with a tray of ice and cold water. After a couple of minutes, I shake them around in the pan to sort of crack the shells and allow the water to penetrate the cracks, making it easier to peel them. Peeling them before they are chilled is easier.

My standard recipe is mayonnaise, a bit of Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and if there are chives or parsley in the garden, I'll add those as well.

I sometimes put on Paprika, but if you do make sure you haven't had the jar for ten years, the stuff gets rank after a while.

Anonymous said...

emma. i bought The Secret today. My day off included book buying. :)

Anonymous said...

Emma,

I have never tried the standing method but will make an attempt this weekend. I boil eggs every weekend and always shock them in cold water and immediately peel them. It seems easier that way.

Also, surprisingly good, try to sprinkle really good curry powder instead of paprika, or with paprika. Or, you can substitute curry powder for the mustard.

Just thought I'd comment,

I2Days

Anonymous said...

Kbell thought me how to boil eggs perfectly, I forgot what she told me though. - blu

Anonymous said...

I always add a little vinegar. Really fresh eggs are harder to peel.
-P.

Clank Napper said...

Delia Smith taught how to cook perfect boiled eggs on the BBC, and her book "How to Cook" and she was laughed at, as it was thought everyone knew how to boil an egg. She says it was her best selling book.

thttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5226338.stm

UrbanStarGazer said...

The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel. Older eggs are very easy to peel.

I like mayo, sweet pickle relish, tinyly diced shallots, garlic powder, and lots of pepper. And sometimes I put a little curry in them.