Saturday, January 06, 2007

"You stink!"

Yesterday a few of us at work were eating lunch together. Two whities, one Asian (who has lived in this country for over 25 years) and two African Americans. All women but one black man. No, this isn’t a set up for a joke. I mention race because it’s an integral part of the story. I forgot how the topic came up but here’s how the conversation went:

Asian chimed in with “You Americans stink.”

The whities and the blacks all exclaimed, “What do you mean, ‘we stink’?”

Asian: I can smell your farts through your clothes.

(quizzical looks from us)

Black woman: And you don’t pass gas?

Asian: Yes, but I go to the bathroom and pull down my pants first.

We all LOL’d.

Me: Well you can be sure that your husband and son don’t go to the bathroom to fart!

Asian: Oh, yes they do!

Black man: Don’t people in your old country just shit in holes in the floor and out in the field? Talk about STINK!

Asian: They do in China! But I am Taiwanese! We poop in toilet!

White woman: Americans spend billions and billions every year on deodorants, creams, shampoo, lotions. We don’t stink any more than any other people on this planet.

Asian: No matter. Farts still stink through your clothes.

Black woman: Then get your nose out of our asses!



No point to the story. I just wanted to share some intellectual lunch time chat.

No comments: