Saturday, January 27, 2007

Unidentified noises

I hate unidentified house noises. Last night I heard noises coming from the basement. It would stop, then start. It’s hard to sleep with something like that going on. BP’s on a road trip and won’t be home until tomorrow but I called him at 1am anyway and told him that I heard a noise from the basement.

BP: what kind of noise?
Me: I don’t know. Kind of like a tap.
BP: Like when that bird got in last summer?
Me: No.
BP: Well, it’s not a person. If someone was trying to get in through the basement window, there’s so much stuff in front of that small window you would have heard a crash.
Me: I suppose so.
BP: Is Liam asleep.
Me: Yes, I checked on him.
BP: I leave my computers running because of the Seti thing. Maybe it’s coming from the computer. Go down in the basement and check.
Me: ARE YOU CRAZY?? Me . . go down in the basement? At 1am??
BP: (laughs) Did you look outside? Maybe it’s coming from outside.
Me: Yes, I looked thru the blinds. Everything’s normal out there.
BP: Maybe it’s the hot water heater kicking on.
Me: No, I know that sound.
BP: Maybe it’s the cat, getting revenge for being put on the porch.
Me: No, I checked on her too.
BP: Is it a constant noise?
Me: No, it stops and starts. A tapping.
BP: I wonder if it’s that Jehovah’s Witness I walled up alive down there.
Me: (in my Maude voice) God’ll get you for that, Walter.
BP: I’m out of ideas. Try to sleep between the noises.
Me: You are no help.
BP: Puddin, I’m in Nebraska. I can’t go downstairs and investigate. I’m be home Sunday and I’ll figure it out then.

So I have to wait until tomorrow so he can look down in the basement for the noise

PS: Blogger made me switch to the "New" Blogger, which sucks.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

they made you switch to the new? i keep ignoring the offer.

i hate odd noises too. i can instantly tell if something is not right. that would have drove me nuts, but i am not a big chicken shit and i would have gone into the basement with a baseball bat to check it out. emma, i will be right over. ;)

schell said...

I hope you're still alive.

Bert Bananas said...

Old people resist change...

Brenda said...

hey bert. bite me. :)

UrbanStarGazer said...

Poor Nesta on the porch!!!

I'm staying at my brother's house right now (6,000 square feet, all one level, 20 foot ceilings - high possible spook factor), babysitting my nephew and we hit the hay around 2:00 a.m last night (after I kicked his butt at: Scrabble, Monopoly, Liar's Dice and Backgammon) and just when I got in my bed all comfy, I started hearing the sound of the dining rooom chairs being moved around -- I could hear their feet dragging on the floor. I laid there and thought, "What the hell? That is definitely the sound of the dining room chairs being moved around" and for a moment I was a little spooked and was thinking, "What should I do???" and then I thought, "Eh, I'm tired. I'm sure there's some logical explanation" and went to sleep.

Turns out it was the chubby dog lying underneath the table and kicking the chairs around.

Anonymous said...

HI Urban!
The games sound like fun . . .but what is Liar's dice?

Also, it's not a "porch" porch . . . it's an enclosed room and comfy, just not well heated. So shaddup.

I looked . . no chubby dog beneath the chairs

-emma

Waltzing Matilda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
UrbanStarGazer said...

You've never played liar's dice?!?! It's fun. We make everyone who comes to the cabin play. Everyone gets 5 dice in a cup, you all turn over the cups and peek at your dice and then everyone guesses how many of a certain number of dice are on the table -- e.g., one player might start with 4 fives; the next player has to increase either the number of dice or the value of the dice so he might say there are 5 fours, etc. -- doesn't sound like much fun but it is. Someone the bids get higher and higher and someone finally calls someone a liar and then it's put up or shut up time.