Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Joe Sambito




















At one point in time (in the early 80's) I enjoyed major league baseball. I liked listening to slurry-voiced Harry Carey.
My favorite player was left-handed relief pitcher for the Houston Astros, Joe Sambito. Very good looking. When I lived in Florida, I'd heard that he had a home on Long Boat Key or Sarasota or somewhere like that--I forget now. Once, a girlfriend and I drove around trying to find the place just to gawk. I don't even know what would have happened had we spotted him. See? I was a stalker before stalking wasn't cool.
I don't know what he looks like now, or what he's doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hel looks liek dirk benedict in his Starbuck days

Jenny Robin said...

I used to try to enjoy MLB when I lived in Arlington very close to the Ballpark where the Rangers played. I tried watching games on TV, but in the end, I realized exactly how boring it is to watch a game on TV. There is precious little action in a MLB game. However, the enjoyability factor goes way up when seeing a game from a seat in the stadium. I think its all the other things to look at.

I played softball for 11 years, and those games were rarely boring, because kids make far more errors and are way less accurate with their throws than the pros, of course. The older we got, the better we got, but still the games were interesting.

Billy Ripkin played for the Rangers for a short time, and I imagined I liked him a lot, but then I met him a couple of years ago, and all that changed. He was making fun of kids that came to a book signing that he and his brother did. Some of the kids were starstruck and silent, and he taunted them for it. What a jerk.