Friday, July 14, 2006

The Giver

Last week LP read Lois Lowry’s The Giver, loved it, and insisted that I read it. I’m glad I did. It’s labeled a Young Adult book but I think it’s terrific for adults. If you haven’t read it, it’s about a futuristic society which at first glance is wonderful: No pain, no hunger, no rudeness (not the Book Shelf!) no war, etc.
When each child is twelve they go through a ceremony in which the Elders select a life’s work for each of them. Jonas gets selected for the high honor of becoming the Receiver of Memories and begins his studies with the “Giver.”
With each chapter I felt sadder and sadder and weighed down with this Community. Somewhere in the course of their history they chose being safe over other liberties and pleasures in life. DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR in this Dubya-infused life??
Anyway, LP and I both enjoyed it. Give it a try if you see The Giver on a used book shelf.
PS: Not everyone loved it. I was looking at the reviews on B&N and ran across this. I LOL’d:

Mona, I am a book worm!, July 5, 2006,
Horrible book!
I did not like this book at all. It was very boring and heard like a movie. I didn't think it was entertaining and I had to actually make myself finish reading it. That was how boring it was! I do not recomand it!

“Heard like a movie”? hm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of my students have mentioned that book as one they like...one day I may have to read it.

Anonymous said...

I read this book awhile back, because my son read it in school and said, "Mom, you'd like this one." He was correct!

Anonymous said...

Emma,
That is one of Aimee's favorite books. Did I tell you she got a position teaching 3rd grade?? I am so proud. She starts pre-planning in 2 weeks!!! Lu

The Broards said...

Lubeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
Tell her congratulations!!!!!! With Tracee teaching . . and Aimee teaching . . . our precious lil people will be in good hands!!!

Jenny Robin said...

This is a freakin' awesome book. I read it in college after my roommate read it because her best friend told her about it. I bought it in hardcover several years ago and re-read it occassionally.

M. Night Shyamalan's The Village reminds me of this book.

Brenda said...

i looked for it at the used book store today. no luck. i will have to order it. but i plan on reading it. thanks.