Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Betsy

My cousin Betsy died yesterday of ovarian cancer. She was 51 and a great example of someone who followed her “bliss.” She was an actor for 24 years. After getting her Bachelor’s at Indiana University, she went to University of California at San Diego for her Master’s and then settled in Chicago and acted in regional theater for years before moving to Kansas City where she and her husband acted in and directed many productions. She had a twelve year old son named Aidan. I feel for him—losing your mother at such a young age.
As a kid, I always enjoyed visiting Betsy’s family at their Indiana farm. We kids loved to throw out baled hay from the barn loft, and swim in their muddy pond. We all thought that was a hoot.
When she and her older sister were teenagers, they seemed very glamorous to me. Both of them knew from when they were young that they wanted to act. And both did, to relative success I might add. My aunt and uncle were very supportive of all their kids. They were fine examples of parenting.
Both Betsy and her sister Laura made their livings doing what they loved. How many people are lucky enough to say that?
As many cousins do, we kind of lost track of each other and only exchanged yearly Christmas cards and letters. Even so, I’ll miss her. She was a very cool person. Bye Betsy.

7 comments:

Waltzing Matilda said...

I'm sorry Wemma. :(

Anonymous said...

Poor Adrian; is he her only child?

schell said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, Emma. It sounds like she led a great life though.

Anonymous said...

Dear Emms, I am so sorry to hear that news. I wish your family peace. She sounds alot like my beloved Aunt. She passed a few years ago. She was a makeup artist on Broadway and she ran the Barn theatre in New Jersey for many years. I am a true theatre geek and I think it was her infulence. I remember one Thanksgiving she put beards on all the men. She was so fun. I remember many nites sitting up all nite while all of her theatre crowd was over drinking, singing and dancing at her Piano....what a gal she was. Maybe they will meet up in heaven.
Lubee.

Brenda said...

I am sorry for your loss Emma.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Sorry to hear about your cousin. :(

Her poor boy. :(

Catz said...

Dear Emms, I am so sorry to hear the news.A friend of mine just had been diagnosed with cervical cancer and had to under go surgery last month.Monday when she went in for her results they sadly informed her they didn't get all the cancer.From my understanding it's spread.She's supposed to go back in for more sugery.Hopefully they'll get it.So Although she's not my blood relative we're close.I do feel for you and you're in my thoughts and prayers.