Friday, June 06, 2008

Are donuts worth it?

So I was waiting in line at a local donut shop this morning waiting to buy some breakfast for my staff when the only employee (she looked about 60) was talking to the lady customer (she looked about 40) before me.

I was getting irritated because a) it was after 8:00 already, and b) she couldn't actually get the woman's order AND talk, she'd stop to talk then continue fulfilling her order, and c) the customer didn’t give a rat’s ass about the employee and wanted to get the hell out of there too.


Employee: Did you see the woman who just left? That was my sister, and I had a foot surgery a few weeks ago and she doesn’t even care! She’s always on my case and dresses me down.

Customer (disinterested): Yeah?

Employee: She always did and now it’s even worse and when I don’t do something she wants she says “I’ll get Mom on you!” and then I go ahead and do it. If my foot didn’t hurt so much I’d take her down!

Customer: Your grown woman of a sister siccing your mother on you—another grown woman?

Employee: Yeah, and my sister does! She tells Mom on me!

Customer: Why should you care what your mother says about you two bickering? You’re a grown person.

Employee (looks like she’s thinking about it): Hm, I dunno.


I was saying beneath my breath “Oh good God already!”

I just wanted some freaking donuts and I wander in on a fucking Dr. Phil session.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

this brings up visions of the 70+ woman that works at my local walgreens. she drives me up the fucking wall. everytime i go in there, i just want to get my stuff and go, but NOOOOO. she has to have a fucking conversation with every person she checks out. 6 people in line can turn into a 15 minute nightmare. doesn't she know i don't give a shit that she likes the blouse i have on? it wouldn't be so bad, but you get the feeling it really isn't heartfelt when she finds something pleasant to say to everyone. the old guy with no teeth, greasy hair and bad breath buying cigarettes does not have any redeeming qualities for gods sake. iwant to yell.... hurry the fuck up will you??? when i go in there i secretly hope she died the night before so i don't have to put up with her condescending bullshit. does that make me a bitch?

The Broards said...

"when i go in there i secretly hope she died the night before so i don't have to put up with her condescending bullshit"

Spidey, I literally laughed out loud when I read that---BP's in the other room and he said "WHAT?"

I said: "Spidey wants a 70 year old woman to drop dead!"

Anonymous said...

Even I laughed at that. - blu

UrbanStarGazer said...

Strangely, I didn't laugh at that. You would think I would.

Anonymous said...

i got a woman fired from walmart the other day and i didn't even feel guilty. i usually don't go in there, but i needed something quick and everything else was closed. i was standing there (with the baby) when cashier "a" had a very loud, personal, graphic and inappropriate conversation with chashier "b," who was 4 lanes away.

I dislike being talked to death in line, but i do like being noticed while there. When the woman started talking like a sailor about sex with her man-of-the-week i asked to speak to the head cashier or the manager.

I have a firm belief that if I don't get to cuss at work, then they shouldn't get to either. plus, i didn't like the fact that she was cussing in front of my child when i've gone out of my way to eliminate using my favorite words because i had a child. the manager readily agreed with me.

jilly