Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dinner Conversation

With different schedules BP , LP and I unfortunately rarely have dinner together. Dinner time when I was growing up was a major production---what with 2 parents, 2 grandparents and seven kids. We almost always had political discussions—usually with my beloved grandfather railing against the Russians, whom he called “Rooshans.”

Being the outspoken dudette that I was, when I was in junior high, I remember getting into almost a knock down, drag out fight with my Dad about the Vietnam War demonstrations going on at Wabash College. Even though he was a Democrat, he was also a former Marine, and he was a “support the president, right or wrong” kind of a man. Having lived through Reagan, Bush 1 and some of Dubya, he outgrew that stance. He was almost as rabidly anti-Republican as Naggy poo and Bly are.

Well anyway, this evening BP, LP & I had a very nice dinner discussing (of all things) the Bay of Pigs invasion, the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Cold War.. LP couldn’t believe it when I told him that, in grade school, we had regular “duck & cover” drills in the hallways so we’d be prepared in the event that the Rooshans dropped the Big One on us.

9 comments:

Brenda said...

we don't have many family dinners anymore either. however, when we do, it usually turns into a giant laugh, don't chokefest.

Anonymous said...

Emma - With all those brothers and sisters, you should do Schell reminiscent postings. - blu

Clank Napper said...

I can't believe it either. You were so lucky to have such a big family. I was an only child and so is my daughter. I would have loved siblings for me and her.

Anonymous said...

oh blu reminds me, how's the nun?

jilly

Anonymous said...

its that kind of chat I most miss Jack being here for. We had loud argumentative dinner in our family too , that and peruvian flies

Gail said...

I'm an only child and so's my daughter. I suppose since I don't know what I missed, I didn't (and don't) mind being an only and I was an only grandchild on the paternal side of the family. I will admit freely and without shame, that I was spoiled rotten and enjoyed every minute.

The Broards said...

Gail,
When LP complains about the lack of siblings I always tell him that since he's an only child, he's gotten a lot more advantages than if he had been one of seven----we contended with hand me down clothes and shoes, scarcity of money for extra curricular activities . . . music lessons . . etc. It's a trade off. The grass is always greener . . .that kind of thing

The Broards said...

Gail,
When LP complains about the lack of siblings I always tell him that since he's an only child, he's gotten a lot more advantages than if he had been one of seven----we contended with hand me down clothes and shoes, scarcity of money for extra curricular activities . . . music lessons . . etc. It's a trade off. The grass is always greener . . .that kind of thing

Gail said...

I don't remember Heather ever complaining about being an only. Maybe she figured out early the material advantages of being an only chick.