Saturday, December 08, 2007

It grows

I've been up since seven o'clock and still eating this one bowl of oatmeal. My doctor suggested that I eat oatmeal every day and I'll tell you what, it's going to take me all day to choke down this stuff.
It smells good--I bought the stuff with cinnamon and I nuked it and then poured a little tiny bit of milk in it but every time I take a bite, the bowl grows back two bites. It's a mushy texture and now I think my spoon's permentantly affixed to the mess.
I wonder if CheeriOs are just as beneficial.

FYI, Schell: I asked my anti soup eating friend about the pudding and ice cream and she said that she would eat that stuff "as a snack, not a meal." Apparently she doesn't want to work that hard at mealtime.

The cat's been up on my lap. I'm wearing a hoodie and she's found the strings and is gnawing on one of the strings, making it twice as long as the second one.

I'm going to put up the Christmas stockings I bought the other day. We must have 50 million different Christmas stockings in the basement, but every year I buy them. This year, they are plain red with white fluffy stuff on top.

"Mom"
"Pop"
"Liam"
"Nesta"

is what each one will get with glitter. I think I'll go ahead and put a lump of coal into mine so as to save Santa the trouble. On the 24th, I think that instead of leaving cookies and milk for Santa, I 'll leave him this bowl of oatmeal.

6 comments:

Jenny Robin said...

Instant oatmeal is bottom of the line. Try Steel Cut oats. They require a good amount of cooking time, but are supposed to taste amazing.

But if you don't have 30 minutes, then make quick cooking oats. Better than instant. Or, just eat oatmeal cookies.

Anonymous said...

Thats interesting Res , I eat oatmeal cookies every morning , I often dunk them in coffee. I guess i eat between 5 and 7 of them. The ones I buy are a cheap store brand type but still very tasty . I suppose Emma is constipated . It happens in older people . If you want to get your bowels moving try eating chinese foods . It seems to work for me at any rate . allan

Brenda said...

emma. try eating the oatmeal uncooked. pour some milk on the top and let is sit for a bit. someone else posted on their blog about eating it uncooked and i tried it and liked it. it isn't all mushy and slimey.

Anonymous said...

i sorta like the oatmeal with apples in it. my guy likes the instant crap with cold milk on it, uncooked like schell suggested. the thought of that makes me gag. i don't really like oatmeal, but it's better than cream of wheat or grits. allan, oatmeal is supposed to remove LDL ("bad" cholesterol) and help you replace it with HDL (the "good" cholesterol). I think this is why emma needs the oatmeal because cheerios claims to help with cholesterol too. I don't know if it was the oatmeal, but i switched to only buying turkey, skim milk dairy products and no salt added foods on top of the oatmeal and my guy lowered his cholesterol 42 polints in a year. the LDL went down and the HDL went up. Little changes can make a big difference.

Jilly

Anonymous said...

aha, thanks jilly , does that still make the oatmeal cookies a valid source for that purpose ? I was also thinking as I drove around yesterday putting some honey on the oatmeal ( cooked , hot ) might make it easier to eat and the honey isnt bad for you either . Just a thought , allan

vq said...

Emma, if cholesterol is an issue with you, I urge you to try taking niacin. (Get the no-flush or slow release kind.) You can buy it on the vitamin aisle of any store. I take it, and my last blood work was pretty impressive--total cholesterol 130, ratio 2.3, triglycerides 64. My mom lowered her cholesterol 20 points in a month with it.


(I love oatmeal.)