Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Update

Last night I went to a Christmas get-together with some of the other women who work at the Company. Twenty in all. I met a new employee name Nikki Brown. I kid you not, her birth name was Gray and she was on her second marriage (to Mr Brown.) The first husband's name was Green. So she was Nikki Gray Green Brown. I suggested she marry a guy name Plaid and cover the whole spectrum in one swope.
I found a new drink I like: An Italian Bug. It had a melon liquer, coconut rum, pineapple juice and something else. Tasty! And quite tropical for mid December.
---------
I shopped for LP's Christmas. So far he's getting Tour of Duty4 for XBox 360, and a wireless controller. He also desperately needs a new suit of some sort because he will get a job in 2008.

---------

I am taking off the week between Christmas and New Year. I'm going to try to relax and read.

---------

Beann, thanks for the card you sent! :)

---------

I'm reading or have read or will start reading soon:

Alan Alda's Things I learned While Talking to Myself (or something like that)

Some guy named Gay's Five Wishes. It's a motivational self help tome that's a boring as a chunk of cement.

I bought Sue Grafton's T is for Trespass.

Daring Book for Girls (I read the Dangerous Book for Boys and loved it!)


A compilation by Caroline Kennedy of Christmas Stories. I'm digging it. Did you realize that at one time Christmas was not a commercialized holiday??? Horrors!

Oh! and this fun book called Intellectual Devotional. I think that's what it's called--it's in the bedroom and I'm too lazy to get up and go look at it. It's a one or two page little ditty to read before retiring at night...about music, history, etc.

9 comments:

Clank Napper said...

I used to like the Christmas story about the hair by O. somebody.

I used to have a boss called Kevin Snowball. He was pretty horrid, but I would have married him, just to become Mrs Snowball.

The Broards said...

Clanky

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry.

You did NOT know a person named "Snowball"!!! Snowball is a cat name!!

Beanns37 said...

You are welcome Emma! :)
Monkee has her own stocking that says Meow on it, I have it hanging on the mantle.

Clank Napper said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Snowball

It is not that rare a name. Betty was and English cricketer. I never asked him if he was related to Betty.

I also had a patient in my old job called Susan Trollope. I would have loved to be Mrs Trollope.

Anonymous said...

i love the christmas short story book by Connie Willis. one story starts out as a boring christmas letter that the main character doesn't want to write, and quickly moves into how the people with perfect cristmas letters are all really pod people with no personalities. the main character spends the season tracking down the aliens and trying to save herself and her love interest. it's a cute story.

i used to work with a man named long duck dong. he was from china. i'm sure it means something else there.

jilly

schell said...

Our company posts the birthdays of all its employees on their websites. A lot of them we never see because they're spread out over twenty school districts. Yesterday it was a teacher's birthday and her last name was Crabtree. Wasn't there a teacher on an old sitcom named Mrs. Crabtree?

Clank Napper said...

Edna Krabappel from the Simpsons?

Anonymous said...

Miss Crabtree was one of the lovely, young teachers in the old Our Gang movies..you know, with Spanky, Alfalfa, Buckwheat and Stymie.

Ded

Anonymous said...

There is a bronze plaque on Asheville, NC's "Urban Trail" showing the hair, the pocket watch, and the combs, (and a watch fob too?) to commemorate O. Henry, who had an office at one time near the spot and was born and buried in Asheville.