Monday, June 11, 2007

Corporate Speak

I remember reading when Verbie said "gifted" was not a verb, so here's something I cringed at today:

This mean woman from THE COMPANY came into my office. We were talking about a meeting we have tomorrow with a guy named Michael. The meeting is scheduled for 8am, Mean Woman said, "Michael will not be here by then. His flight won't even arrive until 10am."

Me: Oh? I didn't know that.
MW: Well, I did. Michael and I office together.

She OFFICES together with Michael?? She doesn't have her office near Michael. She's not next to Michael. SHE OFFICES WITH MICHAEL. How fucking stupid is that?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I no longer office with Mr. Throat Clearer, though from three cubes away, I told him to lower his damn IMs. - blu

Jenny Robin said...

I think it is perfectly acceptable to use the word 'office' as a verb.

Anonymous said...

emma, you could replace it with actualy verbs in your head. I don't like "lunch" used like this. as in "we lunch together" wtf? how about "we eat lunch together." no wonder half the kids are unable to read or write.

jilly

vq said...

You GO, girl.

Anonymous said...

If I knew what a verb was I'd join in with you

Anonymous said...

verb, emma'd "go" but they won't give her a passport.

jilly

Anonymous said...

Crap, is it so hard to say "I share an office with"?

An office is a place and a NOUN; it is not an action, so it is NOT a VERB.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh (sound of English teachers everywhere moaning and tearing out their hair).

Anonymous said...

O thanks rosa I know what a verb is now , can't wait til someone gets pissing off about adjectivising

Anonymous said...

This blog reminded me of the Bart Simpson blackboard line at the start of the show where he has to write lines. I always love to read them. One is...

"Pork is not a verb"