Saturday, April 14, 2007

Manure Tea

1. The weather. The weather Gods are against me. I want to do stuff outside in my yarden (yard-garden, if you didn’t get that) but have been unable to. It’s been raining like Noah’s ark should be parked in the driveway.

2. I think I mentioned that I bought a Tumbleweed Compost Maker. I love it. I’ve been feeding it every day. The instructions say that it works faster with only grass clippings, but bullshit!—That’s wimpy. I’ve been doing shredded newspapers, old leaves, spent daffodil flowers, vegetable kitchen scraps. I had BP put it near the shed so when I go outside to the garage, I can tumble it. Every time I tumble it I chant:

Rumble, tumble, foil and fumble. I love you the most.
Rumble, tumble, foil and fumble, make some ass-kickin’ compost!

(I’m thinking about copyrighting that, so don’t rip it off!)

3. A woman who works with me has a horse. She loves her horse. I gave her a extra heavy duty contractor garbage bag and asked her to bring me some manure. She asked why. Haha. I told her that I wanted to make some mature tea for my plants. She retorted, “Sure, I’ve always wanted to give my boss some shit.” Ha ha again.

Recipe for manure tea:

Horse and/or cow shit
Water
Pantyhose


Put some horse manure into pantyhose (be prepared to not wear the pantyhose again) and tie it off.

Drop the package into a barrel of water and cover.

Steep the manure for a few days . . a week. . . .whatever.

Draw some of the tea and mix with an equal part of straight water. Water garden plants or container plants.

Good stuff

16 comments:

Brenda said...

can you use a knee high pantyhose or does it have to be an entire pair? should i get control top? what about reinforced toe?

i know someone that i would like to give a hot steaming cup of that tea to.

Brenda said...

i would suggest to never use pig shit for this brew.

schell said...

I should make some for the tea lady.

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

spidey did you live next to a pig farm? They are the stinkiest! Probably because they eat the same things we do!

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

Emma.. I am wondering how the tumbler works... or rather how do you keep working it and still get compost? Is there a receptical for composted material or do you just filter out useable compost or do you have to wait a while for what you have in there to decompose and then start fresh?

Enquiring composter minds want to know. Our system is slow slow slow

Anonymous said...

orbie. i didn't live next to one,but i did pass one on occasion when i was a kid. it almost made me puke. (a pig farm that is)

Clank Napper said...

You will never guess what! I have written to the Tumbleweed Composting Company with your little ditty and they have agreed to pay me £50,000 per year for my poetry skills.

Sucker.

Anonymous said...

You people are gross. You can buy this stuff and avoid touching or sniffing horse shit. Emma - give me your adress - I'll send you all the cat shit and dog shit you want - I may even top it off with a big dump of my own. - blu

The Broards said...

Gosh. I blog about horse shit and everyone comes out to play!

First things first:

blu,

dog/cat/human shit does not make good plant fertilizer. Horse/cow/chicken/bat now THAT'S good shit. Plant eaters only


Clanky,

You are so sneaky!! Dammit!


Orbie,
You can do it both ways: Fill it to the brim all at once. Tumble daily and you can get good compost within 30-50 days.then use it and start again. OR (the method I'm using) add stuff to it whenever, tumble tumble then sift out the compost in about a month, then add to it, etc...



Schell,

Oh, no you DID'UNT!


Spidey,


knee highs will do . . . just not fishnets :)

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

oh one more question ... did you have to add redworms or bacteria to get things started?

Anonymous said...

No worms needed.
You can get good compost by simply filling your bin with the stuff I've described.

A worm composter is usually stored indoors and starts with red wigglers. You feed them all veg/fruit kitchen scraps and they move through the garbage, digesting and pooping and they'll turn your scraps into excellent compost too.

BUt the kind I have doesn't need worms the need bacteria comes from the tiny stuff already in the soil particles, soil, rotted plant materials, etc that you put in. Some add a handful of fertilizer to start the cooking process.


---emma

Bert Bananas said...

"Some add a handful of fertilizer to start the cooking process."

I think I've eaten at a restaurant that follows this recipe.

Jenny Robin said...

I was in your next of the woods a couple of times this past week...coming and going to Michigan. I drove through Terre Haute. I shouted your name, but you didn't respond. bitch

The Broards said...

Terre Haute is a stinky (literally)place

Jenny Robin said...

Yes, I did notice a stench driving through it both times. But I wasn't going to say anything.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I'll bet it's the amines plant. There used to be a similar one in Louisiana. Smelled like dead fish. -- fez