Sunday, April 22, 2007

Clothes/books/$2.50 painting

We visited my sister but didn’t stay the night. After “babysitting” with my mother for a few days, my sis wanted and deserved her solitude.
Respighi’s right. LP came away with some clothes from Finish Line and Man Alive, and a Wii thingy. In fact both places (FL & MA) recognized us from out previous excursions and the two employees tripped over others to get to us first. They must get credit or commissions on sales.

We went to B&N and I got some magazines and two books:
The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, A History by Lewis Buzbee
The Secret of Lost Things, by Sheridan Hay

Both are set in bookshops. One, a novel, the other non-fiction.

(At present I’m reading a fascinating non fiction book, The Wild Trees by Richard Preston—he wrote the thriller The Hot Zone. The Wild Trees is about the magnificent California redwoods. I’ll blog about it when I’m finished with it.)

I also got two large area rugs and two paintings. One painting would not ring up at the register and, after calling a supervisor and fiddling around with the sku, the supervisor told us that this painting had been on clearance awhile back and “wasn’t even supposed to be on the sales floor.” Huh? I told her that it was the only one like it that we saw. Anyway, she said she’d give it to me, “really cheap” because someone had screwed up putting it back out. TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS!! The rest of the art work was around eighty bucks.
Today is gorgeous outside, so after my coffee and toast I’m going outside to putter aound and try and talk BP into going to Menard’s with me for my annual haul of mulch and potting soil and other accoutrements.

5 comments:

Jenny Robin said...

Ha!

I'm glad you enjoyed the time with your sister. I secretly want one of those Wii things, but can wait.

Now...I'm off to get ready for my birthday party (better late than never)!

Anonymous said...

The Wii is fun. I should play more Wii tennis maybe it would help my achey elbow...or not.

UrbanStarGazer said...

I was planning on doing some gardening this weekend but, we got a snow storm and another foot of snow. Grrrrr.

Anonymous said...

i got some stuff to fix the patches in mny lawn from people driving/parking on it. my tulips have yet to bloom, but they're almost ready. next year i'm going to garden.
jilly

Anonymous said...

I'm growing herbs, leeks, carrots and a teeny weeny rose bush we named Gladys.

Britters