Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Golden Globes

The Golden Globes award show last night was boring with a capital B. Meryl Streep was fantastic as usual--no wonder industry people love her. She told us all to go to our theater managers and "politely" inquire as to why our small theaters don't show these first rate-but-in-limited-release movies (ie. Volver, Pan's Labrinyth, etc.) when she pulled out her speech, someone in the audience must have groaned because she said, "Oh, shut up. It isn't that long." She put on her glasses and looked around the theater, "Yes. I've worked with everyone here." haha..
Hugh Laurie was funny as usual.
Alec Baldwin was mildly amusing.
And I always love seeing Dustin Hoffman.
But that was about it. No hilarious Steve Carell speech.
Warren Beatty went on WAY too long. He must not allow Annette Bening to drink at home because she was sure as hell enjoying that champagne all night.
I don't watch "Ugly Betty" so I could give a shit about that show winning.
I don't watch "Grey's Anatomy" so I could not care less about McDreamy McSteamy or McDumbass.
Reese Witherspoon looked good in the yellow dress but someone should have given her a mirror to smooth her hair before going on stage.
Tiny Fey looked good for being Tina Fey. That dress looked very Barbie circa 1950.
Jennifer Hudson looked good, but she sounded as dumb as a rock.
Poor Prince, he won one of the early awards but was "stuck in traffice" so he wasn't there to accept. Too bad, so sad.


Okay, so I watched the red carpet stuff too. And may I just say one thing? I've said it before and it's my pet peeve.
You're an actor/actress of some stature (You're working, for crissakes) so ACT like you want to be there. Don't ACT like it's a chore to stop and talk to Joan Rivers, or Ryan Seacrest (blech) or Guilana DePandi. I'm talking about YOU Angelina Jolie. She was so fucking glum, it was disgusting. She looked guilty about being there with Brad--like Jennifer Aniston was going to jump out of the bushes and smackdown on her ass. You were with Brad Pitt, Dumbass. You could smile, enjoy the moment, instead of looking like you were planning your next trip to the Congo to adopt a kid. That kind of attitude frosts me. Brad, on the other hand, was very charming to people. He needs to ditch that big-lipped, tattooed, nutso, blood-drinking, broad.

Renee Zellweger. Oy vey. She's another one. What happened to her? Is she on drugs or was her girdle too tight? Her face was set it that "Ewww.....did someone just fart" way. Renee, loosen up and get off the cocaine, or meth, or whatever you're on. She's so Melania Trump, but Melania Trump has an excuse for looking pitiful--she's married to the Combover Man.

Jennifer Lopez was nice to the interviewers, but I was hoping she and Ben Affleck would pass one another on the way in, and Jennifer Garner could Alias-kick her on her cellulited ass.

The little girl from Little Miss Sunshine was cute. Seacrest asked her a question she didn't want to answer so she brought up her purse and said, "Look at this!" and the front of the purse opened to reveal a mirror . . . such a ten year old (or however old she is) thing to do. It was very cute.

Vanessa Williams was so un-PC! She was wearing a fur stole! Where were those PETA people with their bucket of blood?






11 comments:

Brenda said...

nice review. i knew i didn't have to watch the show. i would just wait for your take on it. thanks!

Waltzing Matilda said...

I find the redcarpet amusing, but don't get to watch it because there are too many males at my house.

Emma, look at dlisted.com. They went off on Angelina yesterday: "She’s standing there thinking “I’m so beautiful…so perfect…I am a goddess…I feel so sorry for these peons. They don’t know the meaning of life.” Come on, you know she is. Yes, she’s gorgeous, stunning, dazzling, blah blah blah…but she’s also a stuck-up HO."

Anonymous said...

I didn't get to watch last night, we watched 24 instead, but I couldn't wait to get home from work today to get your take on it! Thanks, Emma, it's almost like I watched it myself.

Anonymous said...

I agree Emms, And did you notice the brown fake bun attached to renee's blondish hair?? Wierd. Loved your take on the awards. Too funny. Lubee

Anonymous said...

Emma, if you watched Ugly Booty, I mean, Ugly Betty, you'd know that Vanessa is totally working on being un-PC.

What, you don't watch it because Mexicans have starring roles? You racist!

The Broards said...

:::shrugs:: I guess Bertina. I stopped watching the George Lopez show a few seasons ago (Is it still on?) and I hate the Carlos Mind of Mencia show--how is he funny?
I wasn't even rooting for Mario Lopez to win Dancing with the Stars. Are they're other brownskinned people on television?

If so let me know And I'll give them a try. BTW, have you ever seen Joel McHale's Talk Soup. He always shows clips of spanish-speaking soap operas, and man is the acting bad in those!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Uh, I believe the starts of Ugly Betty are Guatamalan, not Mexican...just thought I'd point that out.

I love Hugh Laurie's acceptance speech--he's right--someone must work with a crew of thugs and drunks! They can't all be here!

Jenny Robin said...

Bitch, where is your Wednesday update?

Anonymous said...

Ugly Betty is Guatemalan... who knew?

The other three, the sister, the dad and the nephew, are not Guatemalan. Apparently they're just Americans with good tans. The sister and the nephew are from NY & Philadelphia, so the guess would be their ancestral roots flow through Evy-land. Tony Plana, the dad, is from LA, so I'd bet his tannedness comes from some ancestors who lived in Mexico.

Of course we can all trace our ancestry back to Olduvai Gorge.

Anonymous said...

I tried to watch some of it on YouTube, but some meanie called Dick Clark has had all the Golden Globe stuff removed, due to the fact that he wasn't getting any money for the clips.

The Broards said...

Clanky, the nerve of that Dick Clark . . may he become old and stooped and riddled with age .


Oops, too late!