Saturday, December 16, 2006

Saffron Turducken

So I was in the spice aisle at Meijer's today looking for the ground cumin when I overheard these two women fighting about saffron. The older one thought that McCormick's made a mistake because "those saffron bottles are empty."
"No," said the other one, "it's like threads or something. They're in there."
"You're crazy," said the first. "Who would buy that empty bottles? And why does it cost so much?"

I left them there to duke it out. Saffron costs so much because it takes 50 million billion crocuses (croci?) to make a pound of that stuff. And to pay all those young Turks to gather it.

Saffron rice is really good though.
-------------

I have all the Christmas stuff I'm going to buy . . . bought. And wrapped. Now the only thing I have to worry about is what I'm making for dinner that day. I don't want to buy a big turkey. I'm not a ham person--unless it's that expensive spiral sliced stuff.Turducken? Nah . . Tony Bourdain has a funny commercial about turducken (he's against it.)

------------

The end.

13 comments:

Brenda said...

how about a beautiful beef tenderloin?

Anonymous said...

I'm making a prime rib for Christmas Eve. Saw Tyler Perry do it on TFN with a horseradish / salt crust. He made it look so easy. I am easily tricked, so we'll see how it goes.

Anonymous said...

I had to google turducken. What a bizarre thing.

Anonymous said...

We always have Pheasant .It's dead easy ,you get a brace of pheasant a good bottle of merlot you pour the merlot over the birds until it's about halfway up their legs then you roast with a lid on for about wo hours on a medium heat. Take the lid off for the last 15 minutes take the birds out the roasting dish make gravy with the merlot and pheasant juices left in the roasting dish enjoy everyon saying wow this is fabulous it must have taken you ages whilst you snigger and Say yes it;s an old recipe handed down from my grandmother she was taught by escoffier you know, when in fact you were in a hurry one day and had two old pheasant in the fridge and covered them with wine because the meat was a bit on the gamey side

The Broards said...

Tree,
Tyler Perry=The Medea guy

Tyler Florence=the Food Guy

I don't know that I would eat anything that the Medea guy cooked-----
Mems,
Really. This is the US of A. Where in the world would I buy a peasant?


----
Spidey,
That sounds like an awful lot of work. Are Chinese places opened on Christmas?

The Broards said...

PS: Clanky,Are't you glad you read my blog? You learn so much!

Waltzing Matilda said...

Turducken tastes funny, IMHO. Nothing at all like a real turkey.

Anonymous said...

Medea? Tragedy where crazy woman kills children? Victim or villain?

I am going to have to google it on the Internets.

Thanks for the clarification, though.

Anonymous said...

Madea, not Medea. the character from Diary of a Mad Black Woman, or Madea's Family Reunion. Tyler Perry is a black comedian who makes his career out playing this elderly black woman named Madea. supposedly the movies are very funny, but then what with a straight guy in drag isn't funny?

My students who read MEdea were quite disappointed--it wasn't the same thing at all.

Brenda said...

LOL emma. i hear chinese turkey is delicious.

The Broards said...

"Medea? Tragedy where crazy woman kills children? Victim or villain?"

tree,
you're such a white woman!

The Broards said...

"then what with a straight guy in drag isn't funny?"


Benny HIll

Anonymous said...

I'm making a prime rib. Very easy. Cover with salt and pepper. Put in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 and let it just cook until the meat thermometer says 130 (for medium rare). Takes about 3 hours for 7 lbs. Lovely.