Saturday, December 09, 2006

Assorted Items

Yesterday I took my staff out for a Christmas lunch, and then we came back and worked until five. Well, I worked until four, they worked until five. It’s good to be the King.

------------
I found the most adorable Christmas snack/cereal/candy bowls at Kohl’s. I bought all they had and I’m going to fill them with all kinds of goodies, wrap them in festive cellophane and ribbons, and make party favors and give them to all my people who are going to French Lick for my birthday. That is—if we end up going at all.

1’s mad at 4
2’s mad at 7
3’s mad at 4
4’s mad at 3, 7 and 1
5’s mad at 4
6’s mad at everyone
7’s mad at 6, 2 and 4

It was so much easier being kids, getting mad at a sibling, hitting them upside the head then everything would be forgotten about in an hour. My Mom, in that Universal Mom Wisdom, used to say “If you’re Mad, so Sad, you’re just going to have to get Glad again.” Why isn’t it that easy when you’re adults?

And seriously, some of you women might not agree, but men get over things easier than we women do. Men, in my experience, don’t get too involved with petty family in-fighting. Maybe it’s that they’d rather sit on the sofa with a ballgame on the television, stick their hand into their belt and take a nap. Or maybe they don’t have the stamina we women have to hold on to a good, long fight.

------------------

Monday night I’m going to a Christmas Dinner one of the women in my company organizes every year for the women employees. We were liberated about ten years ago and began sending out invitations to the male employees too, but no man has ever joined us. We have fun drinking, eating and playing that obnoxious Steal the Gift game, that Michael Scott in The Office called Yankee Swap. Why do people fight over $5 decorative soap, or a Christmas ornament?

11 comments:

Brenda said...

okay.. who is fighting?

we do the christmas swap at work too. last year we ganged up on the only guy in the group and he ended up with a candle. hehe

i myself have been in a family fight for 15 years. yep, but it is my MIL so i think you can understand.

Anonymous said...

we had our christmas party last night...heh. No wrangling over gifts this year, either. We mst be way more peaceable than Emma's folks.

Anonymous said...

We're not having an X-mas company party. They'll just have to accept their lonely bonuses and try to get over the pain.

A person I met online does pottery and I asked her if she could customize one of her creations. She said yes. So I got my two supervisors each a personalized desk caddy with their facial likenesses on the lids and their names on them. Liz was totally impressed with me. But all I was doing was taking the easy way out.

While men generally aren't the drama queens that women 'enjoy' being, there are some men who can nurse grudges. I personally remain committed to never playing golf with Hitler.

UrbanStarGazer said...

My younger brother and older sister are engaged in an email war right now. Some men can be just as bad as women.

We had our Xmas party on Friday and I was able to make the last 20 minutes. People were smashed!

I liken supervising people to raising children -- you have all the same petty squabbles, etc.

The Broards said...

"I got car air freshner, a dashboard compass and some breath mints"
This screams male Santa

men forgive and move on. women, we never forgive or forget and any woman who says she does is a liar, except maybe mother theresa, but she's dead, so she doesn't count.



yep. I bet Mother Teresa was pissed at Mary because the Virgin had her image on more cinnamon rolls, tortillas, etc than Mother teresa ever did

schell said...

One of my professor's at DeSales was an Indian priest who worked with Mother Teresa and said she was a real bitch.

The Broards said...

That's probably because she didn't know her place in the Church's hierarchy

Anonymous said...

I never forget, but I do try to forgive sometimes.

schell said...

No, Emma. This guy was very liberal. He was all for women in the clergy. He said she was nit-picky and petty and would constantly get people in trouble if she could. Once she reported him for undoing his collar on a long flight from India to the United States.

Anonymous said...

Schell, thank you for shattering a myth.

Anonymous said...

i'd heard she was a total cow too ,She probably had to be Nice people rarely get anything done