Friday, August 25, 2006

Monarch butterfly on iron butterfly stake.


















This afternoon I was playing hide and seek with the yellow finches in my yard. They were landing on the coneflowers and monarda and eating the seeds. There were three females and one male. The male flew up on a shepherd's hook and tweeted, then one of the females flew up and sat beside him, then another female went kamikazee on his ass and knocked him off his perch. When I moved on the porch, they'd all fly off. There I was standing perfectly still on the porch steps, camera at the ready, while cars went by. I'm sure the drivers were wondering WTF, but I got some good shots. I have pantyhose filled with nyger seeds hanging from a hook but these birds wanted to get the seeds directly from the plants. I love yellow finches.Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

schell said...

Your neighbors are probably used to thinking that when they drive past your house.