Friday, August 04, 2006

Boring Weather, LP and Sauce chat

1. It finally rained yesterday and it was heavenly.
I sat out on the porch and looked at it.
Now the temperature is about 25 degrees cooler than it has been for the last week and a half.

2. LP starts his sophomore year in 12 days. :(
Teenagers are no fun--he doesn't even want to go shopping for brand spankin' new school supplies.
He hasn't yet started driver's training. He shows no interest in it.

3. I made a kickass homemade spaghetti sauce last night. And homemade garlic bread (good loaf of French bread, combine: two cloves of garlic, smashed together with salt to make a paste, 3tablespoons of soft butter, a teaspoon of olive oil--slice the loaf lengthwise and smear the butter mixture on the bread and wrap it in aluminum foil and bake in a 350 oven for about 15-20 minutes. Yum. I put dried oregano on half of the bread)

simple sauce:

1 pound ground sirloin
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 can petite diced tomatoes (your own garden tomatoes would be wonderful)
2 small cans plain tomato sauce ( I like Red Gold)
1 cup of combination chopped fresh flat leaf parsley and basil leaves
salt/pepper

Brown and drain the beef --set aside
Put a few tablespoons olive oil in a pan and saute the onions and garlic, salt and pepper until translucent.
Add back the beef.
Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes
Stir and simmer for about thirty minutes
5 minutes before serving add in the herbs and stir everything together


I served it with linguine pasta

8 comments:

Meme said...

they are truly evil twins

Brenda said...

sophomores are the most obnoxious of all. they also get to be a pain in the ass all over again right before they turn 18. 18-21 ain't no picnic either. okay.. just assume the next 5 years are going to suck big time. if you send them far away to college you might survive.

The Broards said...

:( Spidey thanks for the pep talk

Brenda said...

sorry emma. just hang in there. :) and try not to kill him when you find him sneaking out his bedroom window after you think he is fast asleep. and prepare yourself when you find condoms in his pants pocket. just think of all the naughty stuff you did when you were 16 and just look at this as pay back time. a stiff drink now and then won't hurt either.

Anonymous said...

As a teenager myself, I just want to say LEAVE ME ALONE! Don't you understand? I'M NOT LIKE YOU! I have my own ideas about how to do things. I have thoughts and feelings YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND! You will never know my TRUE HEART because I expose it only to my best friends at school and to strangers I meet on the subway. Now, please leave. And SHUT THE DOOR. And take those STUPID SHIRTS you bought. They went out of style, like, YESTERDAY.

The Broards said...

PTB must be LP's secret Screen name
I never knew!

Spidey, Maybe that's why it's so hard . . at 16 I was surly and thought my mom & dad were stupid, but I always got wonderful grades, didn't drink, smoke pot, or have sex.


Mems..they were separated at birth?

Anonymous said...

Emms, I feel you but you will survive and he will come back around to you. Aimee didn't show any interest in driving till 18. Thank god. She is 22 now and has had about 3 minor and 1 major accident. 3 months ago she rear ended someone doing 55 on the highway in her car.I was at home waiting for her. She lives like half hour away. The car was totaled. No one was hurt. She hit and SUV and slid under the back. She walked away without a scratch. I don't know how. You pray alot and somehow you get thru it. Be happy he is not ready. Ps your sauce sounds lovely. Lu

UrbanStarGazer said...

Hmmm . . . when I dealt with my nieces and nephews who have hit that age already, I just remembered how I felt at that age and what I would have wanted my parents to do and say and what would have gotten through to me and . . . it worked pretty well. Obviously I'm not their parent so that helped . . . and, I was always the only one who was consistent with them (their parents were the threaten but never follow through type . . . I followed through) so they interacted differently with me.

But . . . he'll come back around. Just try not to push him into doing things just to spite you.