Sunday, July 16, 2006

Herbs

Dill that's gone to seed. I don't know where it came from (I think it's from the plant I yanked up last summer.) But it's growing in a weird place..in the front yard by the steps. So I'm thinking that when the seeds are ripe, I'll pull up the plant and shake the seeds in a spot where nothing else will grow. I'm sure dill will be perfectly happy there. It's a weed actually, so it should grow just about anywhere.

I don't like to use dill in cooking. The feathery fronds go well with seafood, but I just don't particularly care for the flavor. But I love the look of the plant. When it sets seed it reminds me of fireworks.

Sage is another herb that, to me, smells like camphor and I don't use in cooking, but it's easy to grow and looks good in the garden if it doesn't get too woody.


In case you're wondering here are my absolutely favorite herbs to cook with and grow:

BASIL. Good God it's wonderful. The smell alone sends me to heaven. I like it in eggs, marinara sauce, casseroles and my Thai basil beef is to die for. Basil is a must.

ROSEMARY. mmmm. Soups, eggs, grilled lamb, beef. Anything is better with rosemary on it.

PARSLEY. Underused by everyone except me. Italian flat leaf parsley is good in every dish under the sun. I love to add it to biscuits even.

THYME. Good in everything.

PEPPERMINT. Got to add it to my iced tea in the summer. Yum.

Lots more of course, but these are MUST HAVES. Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Jenny Robin said...

I like to shake some dried dill on top of a salad. It's extrmely tasty.

I'm with you on all the other herbs.

Also try baking some chicken sprinkled with lemmon pepper and thyme.

Brenda said...

i have everything you mentioned in my herb aztec pot. can i have your recipe for basil beef? I would love to try it.

Meme said...

When I was a child my favourite programme was the Herbs ,it was set in a herb garden,Bayleaf was the gardener ,Dill the dog ,Parsley the lion,I loved that programe.

The Broards said...

Mems,
Too bad we didn't have that show. I would have loved it

Meme said...

here's a tiny cliplett
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWJjcT7Uipo&search=the%20herbs%20p

UrbanStarGazer said...

I'm with you on the herbs although I do like dill.

Herbs I hate:

tarragon

Mum -- do you say herbs like herbert?

Meme said...

I do , theres no outrrageous fake french accent in our house