Monday, June 05, 2006

My favorite 1987 era female detective

I just finished Sue Grafton’s S is for Silence. As you know Grafton’s alphabet books feature insurance detective Kinsey Milhone. I really wish Bert still read these blogs because I’d like his take on this installment. I loved it. It was one of Grafton’s better ones. Most of Kinsey’s adventures are enjoyable (except the M or P one—I forget now. But one of those really stank)

The main character in S isn’t Kinsey, it’s a dead woman named Violet Sullivan. She wondered off in 1953, and her emotionally blotto daughter Daisy hires Kinsey to see what happened to her. The book alternates between 1953 and Kinsey’s present day of 1987.

What else did I like about S? No mention of Kinsey’s hack job-of-a-haircut. No mention of her all purpose black dress. Grafton does, however, again (and again) remind us that Kinsey loves a quarter pounder with cheese more than life itself.

This Kinsey Milhone case gets an A-

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, you do understand that bert hates the Sue Grafton books, right? and can't stand the Kinsey Milhone character? If I really want to annoy him I always call him Sue Grafton ;-) So I can guess that he probably didn't like it.

Anonymous said...

"No mention of Kinsey’s hack job-of-a-haircut. No mention of her all purpose black dress".

That has to improve the book. Surely she's not still wearing that dress.

The Broards said...

Yes I know, Rosa. But he reads them

vq said...

I think Grafton has grown better and better, and the last book or two have been quite good. One of my IRL book clubs read S is for and had a pretty good discussion about how effectively Grafton alternated between time periods to move the plot along.

UrbanStarGazer said...

I read a Grafton book long ago and hated it so haven't revisited them.

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

I think I got all the way up to L and stopped. I had a very intensive Grafton period but I hate waiting for a new book to come out. I guess I will have to wait till she finishes the series and just read them all in the nursing home.

Sometime I want someone to do a rendering of that sweet little apartment of hers (Is she still there?)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»