Saturday, April 15, 2006

Gnomes and whiskey barrels
























My youngest sister’s birthday is May 4 and I asked her what she wanted. She wanted some rubberized garden shoes. She told me Target had them. YAY! They had shoes (kind of like Porky’s pink shoes, only cloggier) in blue, orange and yellow. I choose the orange and also got her a good pair of garden gloves in an orange stripe. Cute!

Guess what else they had?? That’s right—garden gnomes!!! Yippeeeeeee. Cast Iron. Heavy. Adorable. One holding a shovel and one holding a flower pot, so I got them both. (stfu, jhd)

Last week BP and I went to Rural King (kind of a white trash Lowe’s/ Menard’s combo.) He was looking at tools (what else?) and I spied half whiskey barrels. The real deal. Not the phoney baloney faux whiskey barrels like Wally World sells. Big 40 pound whiskey barrels. Regular priced $15.99, now only $12.99. I sweet-talked BP into coming back with his truck to buy some for me.

BP: How many do you want?
Me: Just one.
Me: No two.
Me: Oh, get three.


So he did and they’re still in the back of his truck until the painters are finished with the porch and windows. They smell like whiskey. When I figure out where they’re going in the yard, I’m going to fill the bottoms with empty soda cans, packing peanuts, etc and just the top half with potting mix. Two barrels will get a gnome! I want to fill one with different varieties of coleus, one with herbs (thymes, rosemaries, basils—not Meme’s doggie, and Italian flat leaf parsley) and one with annuals like snapdragons and dahlias. But maybe I’ll change my mind when I go to the nurseries. But that’s the plan right now. I might even do heirloom tomatoes in one.








6 comments:

UrbanStarGazer said...

Why is the one gnome grabbing the other gnome's ass?

The Broards said...

Urban,
Don't be nasty about my gnomes.


blu,
Put some ice on it, Toots.

Meme said...

theres somethign puritianical about a beard with no 'tache

sparky said...

the price of those wine casks is great , i saw the same thing at a wholesale supplier for 18 bucks . be careful what you put in there with he potting mix . One day you will want to change the potting mix and styrofoam peanuts will be a pain to separate from the old mix . Soda cans are kinda odd too . I would use a bit of gravel and then mostly soil so things can root deeply into the mix . allan

Kathryn said...

I suggest that Emma can take the Republican dead bodies she has currently residing in her freezer, chop them up, and use them as filler in the bottom of the whiskey barrels.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Pervy gnomes.