Sunday, April 30, 2006

Crappy weather but lots of plants

I went on a wild spending spree yesterday. The way blu buys designer knockoffs I buy plants. Especially in the Spring time. But the weather turned shitty again so all of these plants are on my front porch huddled together in big cartons and in paper bags. Yesterday I looked at the weather forecast and it’s rain, rain, rain, showers, partly cloudy, rain, rain, cloudy, partly cloudly for the next ten freaking days. Mother Nature/God . . hello . . . my solar powered copper fountain needs sun to run, Honey. Cloudy, rainy days aint gonna cut it.

Anyway, Rural King (a seed/tool/cheapy-creepy store) had big ole pots of rosemary for $2.99 each!

Most of this stuff is going in the wine barrels. Here’s what’s living on my porch for awhile:

3 rosemary
3 different tomato plants (BP put them in the crat and expects me to plant them)
3 different pepper plants (BP again)
1 fernleaf
dill
2 thymes
3 Italian parsley
1 curly parsley (for butterflies to use to have sex and lay their eggs in)
3 Basils (no bollocks on my basils either)

2 Wave petunias (a start for my hanging baskets)



I want some snapdragons but they were all in full bloom, and you do NOT buy bedding plants when their in full bloom at the nursery (no matter what Ded will try and sell you.) You want plants to bloom at your home, not in the nursery.

I’ve got my list ready for the other containers but I won’t buy anything else for at least two weeks.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emma, I wish we lived near each other. I am garden challenged. I am getting continuous curbs put in on tuesday for my landscaping. I need to buy all new plants and I am too cheap to hire someone to do it. Hope I don't F it up. I will send you some pictures. By the way it is already so hot here all of my annuals have burned up. We also this week had bad brush fires. No rain in sight. Well happy planting!!! Lulu

Catz said...

I am garden challenged as well. I would love a beautiful yard. Mr. TOS doesn't have much time with the hours he's been keeping at work.It's been really hot here so I've lost some of what little I have.I'm more of a killer once they're planted.

Lu,we do need that rain.It's very dry here as well.I've heard those brush fires have been bad.You're probably closer to them than I.

Maybe we can chip in and hire emm... ;) :D

Anonymous said...

It's hard to know how Emma can be so very wrong all of the time. It's a real but perfectly mid-western skill. Go ahead and buy all your annuals in full flower. It means they are in execellant health, have been well cared for, have great root growth. And before you get them home, cut everyone of those silly flowers off. And then cut at least half the plant off, leaving only a few lower leaves or growth nodes. Knife the root ball a bit if, like Emma's knickers, they seem too much in a bunch and then re-plant. Water them, offer up a touch of plant food, and in two weeks they will be more lovely than ever.

Ded

The Broards said...

Ded's dead wrong. He wants to move those full-flowered annuals. Capitalist swine!

schell said...

Every year, toward the end of the summer, when all my annuals look horrible, I swear I'm not going to buy any the following year. But, every spring, when Emma starts going on and on, and the neighbors put out their beautiful planters, I cave in. They look nice for a few weeks, then they look awful.

Anonymous said...

catz, the fires were in my town Port st john. I spent thursday watering my roof and thinking of what to pack lu

Waltzing Matilda said...

Take pictures!

UrbanStarGazer said...

H and I have spent the last two weeks perusing nurserys for stuff to plant at my new place. It's hard when you just have a wee patio instead of a big ole yard.

Most of what I wanted was just too big. H is on a mission to find things that smell good. It's kinda funny, bit ole dude walking around smelling everything in site. Problem is, a lot of flowers no longer have scents. They're lovely but, the scent has been bred out of them.

I got a bunch of herbs, some lobelias, some sweet alyssum, some lavender and . . . that's it for now.

I need to get some new peonies for the Tahoe house (since H never planted the LOVELY WONDERFUL SMELLLING PEONIES I BOUGHT LAST YEAR AND THEY DIED . . . BASTARD) and some freesias for down here but other than that . . . any recommendations for things that smell good? H likes lilac and wisteria but, not sure that they'd do well in Tahoe's climate.

Brenda said...

so now emma is supposed to post pics to share with you mel after you have been so mean to her? what is up with that?

Waltzing Matilda said...

Emma takes good pictures, and everyone will enjoy them.

Waltzing Matilda said...

PS: Emma gives as good as she gets.

vq said...

That's a lousy excuse.

Waltzing Matilda said...

It's not an excuse, it's an observation. The thing about the pictures is a compliment.

Brenda said...

no i don't think it was a compliment since you think that you can comment if you think they are blurry, off center, not the right shutter speed, etc. etc. etc. so i really don't think emma wants to share pics with you. I don't wish to speak for emma however, that is just my opinion.