Thursday, February 21, 2008

This morning I was patiently waiting in line at Panera, preparing to order a large coffee and everything bagel, well toasted, with two butters.
A cute little black boy and his mother were ahead of me in line.
He looked back at me and I smiled at him.
He tugged on his mother's coat sleeve and in a loud stage whisper told her,
"Mama, that white lady is smiling at me!"
She told him, "Smile back at her."
He looked at me and said in a loud voice, "NO!"
It embarrased his mom, but it made me laugh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the worst thing that ever happened to me was when sam was about three and this massive woman was coming towards us on the pavement and sam said in that whisper that carries for ten thousand miles , Mummy quick lets get off the pavement before that woman squashes us like a steam roller. then two days later it turned out to be the daughter of the woman who lived on the corner of my street

schell said...

You must have looked pretty scary, Emma.

Anonymous said...

Thus another Malcom X is born.

Clank Napper said...

Worse one to me was Lizzy to her teachers assistant saying "Mrs Jackson, you stink of fags."(cigarettes)

Anonymous said...

my nephew loves to say inappropriate things. before it was somewhat cute, but now that he knows better and is doing it on purpose, it's horrible. i'm not looking forward to that stage. people who have had kids tend to have more tolerance for it though.

jilly