Thursday, December 20, 2007

One of the secretaries came into my office today explaining that she was asking people to donate money because this woman who works in the cafeteria had her gas shut off and she needed $700 to get it turned back on.
A few people around here (me included) know for a fact that she received over $6000 in back child support in October. So did she pay her utilities and other bills then? No, she bought cigarettes and Jack Daniels and a flat screen TV and went on a trip to the Bahamas.
Now her two kids had to leave the home and go and live with an aunt who has heat in her house.
I did not contribute to this fundraiser. The secretary fell for a false hard luck sap story and talked other people into contributing.
I just hope the money raised goes directly to the gas company and not to the woman herself to blow on smokes.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

it is real hard sometimes to feel for people who don't give a shit about themselves.

Jenny Robin said...

that's why i don't give money via those methods

u go grl

Anonymous said...

dear emma,

i don't blame you and i don't look down on you for not giving. that's like my boss (who makes $89,000 a year and her hubby who makes about $100,000 a year (both of them drive jags) asking people at the school to donate a few thousand dollars so her son could go to austira and study with the tenors for his opera major at college.

i didn't give her a penny. imho, she and her husband make plenty of money to finance their son's trip. plus, i think fundraiser letters are tavky, and i turn down all my assbackaward relations who send me letters to go on missionary trips.

i've only ever given money to one fundraiser letter and that for one of my guy's students who needed to get materials and money doanted to complete his eagle scout project, which was to make a local dog park handicapped accessable for peole in wheelchairs. i knew the kid wouldn't piss the money away and it would go to my community and more directly, help out the special ed kids that i work with.

p.s. i hate people who don't take care of their kids. i admire you for not saying something nasty.

love,
jilly

Anonymous said...

That money would be better spent being given to places like the Salvation Army's fuel assistance program..... but of course, THEY do write the check directly the utility company.

I wouldn't have given either, I would have looked up referrals.

Anonymous said...

Jilly,

Thanks so much for the Grinch Christmas card. This year, it's so fitting!!!!

--
emma

Catz said...

I wouldn't have either. I've been burned too many times with sob stories and then later find out it wasn't true. When I quit giving I used to make-up excuses. Now I don't even do that. I just flat out say "no" and I move on. I leave them no time for further begging. Call me a bitch so be it.

Anonymous said...

emma,

i sent allan a grinch one too, i always picture him as the grinch for some reason. i'm glad you liked it.

love,
jilly