Thursday, September 06, 2007

Lunch and Bashing

BP and I had lunch with his mother today. We took her to Chinese. She brought over these two ceramic churchy angels (each about 12 inches high) that she’d ordered from a catalog. They’re made to be hung on a wall. She said that didn’t look good in her house and she asked me if I wanted them. They were uglyass things but I was polite (I can be, at times) and declined. I said that I didn’t have an wall space plus I was into de-cluttering. She took them back home with her and said she’d give them to a gardening club friend. It’s the thought that counts.

During lunch we were ragging on BP’s “collection” of broken down vans (the one he has in the back driveway here has three flats, rusted out floorboards and barely is driveable) and other assorted vehicles. He has a blue Volkswagon Rabbit Diesel that’s been sitting in her yard (she lives in the country) for TWELVE years. The body’s good, but he wants to find another diesel engine and drop it in. She wants it out of her sight. Who can blame her? She said that occasionally guys drive by and stop and ask her if it’s for sale.

I told her “Tell him’yes’---sell it to him and keep whatever money he gives you as a storage charge for the past 12 years.” She said that the idea occurred to her, but she didn’t have the title. I asked BP if the title was here in the house somewhere. He said yes—so I told them that I’d make it my project to find it and sign it over to her so she could sell it.

Needless to say my husband was not pleased, but my M-I-L laughed. She told me that he also had a dump truck and an antique riding mower behind her barn too—she said that she’s sure that a family of groundhogs have taken up residence there in the dump truck’s cab.

Aside from the BP bashing, it was a nice lunch.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emma, I know all about those "precious cars" I hold Hubby that I was going to give them to the funeral director to pay for his funeral (hope it is not soon) and he said " How am I going to put them in the car shows if you give them away"
Boys and their toys

Ann

Anonymous said...

told rather than hold!

Anonymous said...

heh my dad has 50 years worth of computer and precomputer technology in storage that my mom swears she's tossing out 5 minutes after he's dead. my guy likes to collect expensive yard equipment that he doesn't use all that often. we have a bushwacker, 3 weedeaters, 2 push mowers, a rideon mower, 2 chainsaws, umpteen different shovels, picks, rakes, hoses, sprinklers and trimmers. you'd think we had the best lawn on the block. i keep telling him that if he doesn't get rid of one pushmower and one weedeater, i'm calling my dad and giving it to him. my dad also has a tool/yard equipment fettish, but my mom doesn't mind, as she lives to do yard work too.

jilly

Anonymous said...

tell BP he is turning into his aunt that had the collection of stuff in her yard. wasn't that the ass cheek episode? maybe that will scare him.

ha, i am talking about your blog like it is a sit-com.

The Broards said...

ass leg, Spidey, assLEG!~

Anonymous said...

Sorry to have to write on your blog but DO NOT SIGN the title over to your MIL . She will have to retitle it for her to sell it . If the title in in your husbands name have him SIGN it where it says seller and give it to her . Then she can have a buyer put his name in BUYER etc.

allan

Waltzing Matilda said...

Ah Allan offers good advice here, Emma.

My brother frequently has project cars, but he actually fixes them up and sells them.

Anonymous said...

oh sorry, ass-leg. but ass-cheek is funny too.

Anonymous said...

maybe tree stull has the ass-leg pic?

jilly