Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Hummingbird Lady

The two-doors down neighbor and her husband and I had a very nice chat yesterday evening. They credit me with bringing hummingbirds into our neighborhood. I showed them the plant that did it all: a mountain hyssop-type deal which I’ll post a picture of later. It’s not a spectacular plant at all, but the hummers love the small tubular flowers, and it blooms all summer long.
The lady said that she’d noticed hummers in my yard so her husband went out and bought 9 hummer feeders and put them in their backyard. They said they sit out there and see about a dozen birds fighting over feeders. Very cool.
I told her that I was planning on buying two more of the plants from the catalog and she asked for the catalog when I was finished.
Her husband is the guy who snowblows the whole block in the wintertime and won’t take any money, so I think I’ll buy her a few plants as a Thank you.
Please don’t post a comment “I see hundreds of hummingbirds in my yard.” Or “Hummingbirds are mean.” Or “One attacked me once, I hate them.” Hummingbirds are a pleasure and fun to watch around here so don’t piss on my parade. Besides they'll be gone in another few weeks.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the little birds. my neighbor had some flowers that they love so i would see a few flitting around. i have a feeder too.

Anonymous said...

One of my pleasures when visiting my sistin in Az a couple of years ago was waking really arly ( because of the time diff) sitting out in her yard before it got really hot watching the hummingbirds they are fantastic

Anonymous said...

Emma, I hadn't realized they were still around this far north this time of year, but I saw one outside the window yesterday checking out a yellow day lily blossom.

Anonymous said...

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/11834/

this is the variety I planted. Desert Sunrise


-emma

Anonymous said...

i want them to come visit me in my yard, i'll have to find something they love that grows near me. I get robins, orioles, cardinals, jays, ravens, owls and all sorts of birds. i also plan to put in feeders next year, now that the mess of my yard is cleaned up. the wild berry bushes they lived in and off of are gone, so my yard might become empty soon. I love looking at pictures of emma's yard, it looks to lovely and peaceful.

jilly

Anonymous said...

I had swallows nesting on my house this year I love to watch them they are gathering to fly south now though

Anonymous said...

I don't have hummingbirds here. :-(
I tried putting out a feeder from my window on a tree---but nothing but squirrels sniffing.

Anonymous said...

-that was blu.

Jenny Robin said...

The aunt and uncle of one of my friends live in Sierra Vista, AZ and have numerous hummindbirds around their house and yard. I've been there twice and sat outside to enjoy them. I believe there is also a hummingbird preserve there, and that you can hear the buzzing from a fair distance away.

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

I love how their little bodys sort of hang there when they are flying and swing back and forth as they move around. They seem sort of cartoonish in their movements

Jenny Robin said...

I fail to see how someone writing "I see hundreds of hummingbirds in my yard" would piss on your parade.

The others, I get, but not that one. Is it anyone else's fault if they have hyper-hummingbird-ism?

No, it isn't. Any maybe, just maybe they better deserve more humminigbirds than you! S-LAM!

Waltzing Matilda said...

I used to see Hummingbirds all the time when I lived in Richmond, but I almost never see them here.

I saw an owl last night. It scared the crap outta me!

Anonymous said...

We have four hummingbird feeders; when the hummingbirds show up (about twice a year, spring and fall), it is fascinating to watch. You'd think they'd spread out and share the feeders; but what happens is that an agressive male will park his butt at one feeder, and defend it fiercely against all others. But then the other hummingbirds will take turns; one will venture near, the aggressor will chase him away - and that's when everyone else zips in to have some nectar, before Bad Boy returns to defend His Own Personal Feeder. Then the others switch up who gets the short straw again, to draw his fire.

And I won't say “I see hundreds of hummingbirds in my yard"; I think at the max there might be two dozen, but they refuse to sit still long enough to be counted.