Thursday, September 20, 2007

Just Awaiting Autumn

Not too much to update about. As I type LP is on the couch with an achy throat. I gave him some decongestant and honey vanilla tea and told him to sit quietly, but he put on CNN.
I think it's allergies because the weather's affected me too.

I don't like the fact that it doesn't get lighter until later. Shorter days means colder weather and eventually, winter. Would someone please talk to Mother Nature about this?

Lately I've been reading the online posting about real estate and houses in my area (oh, shades of Sparky!) Most usually comes with pictures. If a person puts up his home for sale, and he know the realtor will be stopping by for pictures, don't you think he could take the time to pick up clothing and/or toys off the floor?

We all went out to dinner last night. Sometimes my teenager can be very pleasant. But he was talking about joining the military. Talk about wanting to shit a brick! I am going to get him some career books and see iof I can interest him in some other kind of work. I don't want my son joining the fucking military! ESPECIALLY in this day and age.


Maybe you can help me---he says he wants a job where he can travel--nationally as well as internationally. I suggested sales--commerce. I suggested working for a cruise ship. I suggested writing--writers can work anywhere---of course it would help to write a big fat juicy mega-hit your first time off, but that's doable. Do you have any suggestions? Come on now, help me keep him out of the military. I told him that's he'd need Plan B because with his history of heart surgery, they probably wouldn't take him (thank God!)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Given your son knows you fairly well, I'd imagine there's a large possibility he said that just to get your goat.

Anonymous said...

Rosa, given the fact that I know my son very well, I'd say that you are very wrong


--emma

Anonymous said...

I have reached trhe end of my teyther with my son , and I am have just enlisted him in the royal Marines without his knowldge

Anonymous said...

Emma, most any kind of technical work like engineering or IT or computer programming has jobs that let you travel lots (usually more than you'd like.) I also know some people who go to other countries to teach English. You can also work for international aid agencies, although that can sometimes be dangerous. If you major in foreign languages, you often go to study in another country for a year.

Waltzing Matilda said...

I think LP has been talking to Spawn about how to shorten their mother's life expectancy. I told Spawn that if he joins the Marines that when he comes home, he'll have to visit me behind the church (in the cemetery) because I'M GOING TO DIE IF MY BABY BOY JOINS THE MARINES!! Boy, wouldn't that be a kick in the ass to find out our kids were talking to eachother online.

Bert Bananas said...

Speaking as a concerned mother, I see nothing wrong with male adolescents talking about becoming soldiers. Kids want to DO things, blow things up, tempt the fates. But most kids now days don't actually have what it takes to become a real soldier. Believe me, after 11 tours (or was it 13?) in the 'Nam, I know how wussy most kids are these days. Mommas, don't worry, you didn't teach your kids enough for them to grow up to be soldiers.

Jenny Robin said...

Emma, what are LP's interests? What hobbies does he have? What clubs or organizations is he in? What sports or extra-curricular activities does he participate in?

This info will help me brainstorm some ideas for him.

Anonymous said...

"But most kids now days don't actually have what it takes to become a real soldier"

Bert, They think the world is one big Halo game.


Respighi,

He likes music, basketball, movies about mobsters,cooking, and not straightening his room


Rag,

He doesn't chat with anyone online



---emma

schell said...

How about journalism? He could be a travel reporter. Or graphic design....put some of that video gaming to good use.

Anonymous said...

archaeology, geology, ecology, evolutionary biology, conservation biology, trading, imports and exports, petroleum engineering, industrial engineering, international business and finance.

just a few suggestions from a college website where someone asked for jobs that would allow extensive traveling... without getting your ass shot off.

i dreamed of being an archaeoligist. alas.. i am not.

Anonymous said...

Emma, From someone who has traveled, although very rarely, for work, tell him it's not a vacation. You are there to work and do not get to enjoy it as a tourist would. Also, tell him to join the Peace Corps to travel, he would do far more good than joining the Marines.

Jenny Robin said...

Does he plan on going to college? If so, he can probably work at the university radio station (for his love of music), work with the athletic department (for the basketball), perhaps apprectice to a chef in the area (for the cooking), and live in a frat house (for the hatred of picking up his room).

Jenny Robin said...

Also, has he ever had a job?

A part time job can develop skills that he doesn't currently posses and will perhaps lead him closer towards or away from particular career paths.

Anonymous said...

Emma , I know you hate it , but you can't live his life for him or force him to make the choices you would make , you can however direct him to the Air Force the safest of the armed forces

Anonymous said...

...although I am thinking of sending my 4 year old to a good military school.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,
That's what my husband is trying to do . . . he served in the Air Force and enjoyed it.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

He wants to go to college, but wants to drop out of HS and get his GED. Go Figure. Being a teenager can really suck--but being the parent of a teenager sucks bigger.


--
emma

Anonymous said...

I was annon twas meme

Anonymous said...

Good God mems! How was I supposed to know that you were anonymous---nary a single misspelling!


--
emma

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Emma I have been courting via emails with an intelligent man and have become more careful of late , Ive landed the bastard now though so I can go back to being crap after we have met for lunch next week