Wednesday, October 25, 2006

back to work

Ugh. The frost is on the proverbial pumpkin today.
I worked outside yesterday and I'm sore today. I thinned out the coneflowers, worked some amendments into the soil, and planted the daffodils. Then I mulched. I also moved some big decorative rocks that were hidden with some overgrown perennials to a place where I could enjoy them. I like rocks, I do. I still have a bigass wheelbarrow full of hacked down stuff, in the front yard. If I have the energy after work, I'll haul it around the back and pitch it in the overgrown compost pile.

I saw Sharon Lovejoy (big in the gardening world) on PBS' The Victory Garden Saturday and she was making a "salamander house" from logs and wood screws. They're just stacked like Lincoln Logs and they look cool and rustic. Salamanders supposedly are a good thing to invite into the garden. They eat pill bugs and motherfucking slugs. I hate motherfucking slugs almost as much as I hate motherfucking Japanese beetles. So, I might have BP make a few salamander houses for me. I don't know if they're even around these here parts. I'll have to research, unless one of you know about salamanders and could impart some wisdom.

I finally started Chris Elliott's The Shroud of the Thwacker last night in bed. I actually LOLd a few times. It' s funny and I can imagine his voice as I read it. You know Chris Elliott? For years and years he wrote for the David Letterman Show, and bit part acted in sketches on the show. He recently played Amy's whacked out brother in Everybody Loves Raymond. You either love Chris Elliott or you think he's a no talent dimwitted balding hound-dog looking guy. Chris, if you're reading this, I meant that only in the most loving way. I appreciate you!

The three of us are going to get flu shots after LP gets out of school today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

come and do my garden emma I hate gardening

Anonymous said...

all I know about salamanders is that one like this http://www.pingleton.com/field/100205/marble1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.pingleton.com/field/100205/100205A.htm&h=621&w=869&sz=326&hl=en&start=10&tbnid=4BMNULvF3uqLbM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=145&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsalamander%2Bmarble%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D came into my bedroom a few weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

This is off-topic, but this (http://www.ozarkconnections.com/basinreview_12.jpg) is one of my local stores now. Now we know what happened to all that stuff from BP's aunty's house.

Anonymous said...

I will send my 3 year to your house, she adores slug squashing.