Monday, June 12, 2006

Annoying and Cloying

Entertainment Weekly did an online survey and wanted people to name the most annoying/useless television character. Some named real people: Kathy Lee Gifford for her non stop yakking about precious Cody and her stud husband Frank, Tammy Faye Bakker, Donald Trump. But most named fictional characters: Alf, Steve Urkel, etc.

I nominate Ralph Malph from Happy Days, the neighbor from Home Improvement who was only seen from his eyes up, Fantasy Island’s Tattoo, Love Boat’s Vicki Stubing, and Punky Brewster. All annoying, cloying and useless.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nominate Phyllis (Cloris Leachman) from The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Also, I nominate Frank Burns from MASH.

And, because I truly think she's utterly useless, Deanna Troi from Star Trek Next Generation.. She's an empath, so her basic function seems to be telling Captain Picard how aliens are feeling. "Captain, they seem to be unhappy because we just bombed the crap out of their home planet."

Meme said...

I nominate the entire casts of Sienfeld and friends with a special mention for Joey

schell said...

I never could stand Mr. Roper on Three's Company. Also, Roseanne's whiney friend (the one that ended up marrying Dan's dad).

Anonymous said...

Man, I'd have gone with Rachel Ray.

UrbanStarGazer said...

Lilies are cloying.