Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Nugget

I'm reading a book called "I Never Knew that About Ireland" by Christopher Winn

Here's a nugget:


"The word 'quiz' was invented in Dublin. In 1780 a Dublin theatre manager, James Daly, made a bet that he could introduce a meaningless word in to the English language within 24 hours. He hired a posse od schoolboys to chalk up the word 'quiz' on every available wall or surface in the city and soon Dublin was agog to know what was going on. And that is how we came by one of the most commonly used words in the world."

6 comments:

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

I love words...

oh and Chikeeze (sp)... rocked the house last night

Brenda said...

he sure did orbie. the show was good.

The Broards said...

Orbie & Spidey,

I adored Chikeezee for the first time! I loved the way that song began. I also loved Jason Castro mostly because If I Fell is one of my favorite Lennon & McCartney songs. I thought Amanda was good, and Michael with Across the Universe and the piano teary-eyedd chick.

And rocker David Cook was excellent with the rocked out Eleanor Rigby

Sorry but I felt a perverse joy in seeing David Archuletta screw up (badly) the lyrics. Now maybe everyone won't think he has it wrapped up. NO ONE should forget a Beatles' song lyric!!!!

Anonymous said...

What no comment on how awful Kristy Lee the blonde chick was?

Anonymous said...

I love trivia.

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

David Cook is getting much better looking with all the professional help