Thursday, April 19, 2007

On the Good Ship Lollipop

My staff has been all gloom and doom and depressed since (basically) last November when the Powers That Be decided to look at outsourcing our department. We’ve plotted and justified and spreadsheeted (I know that’s not a word) until we’re all bored to death about it. People just want to stop guessing and have it laid out. I find people can pretty much deal with a situation if you tell them the facts. When it’s left up to them, they start from the Worst Case Scenario. We’re supposed to get the word sometime in May.
Anyway yesterday I told my staff “Fuck it” (well, I didn’t use that exact phrase) “If we’re going down the pea patch (a Hoosier expression) we’re not going as Gloomy Guses, by golly.” (Do I sound like Shirley Temple in Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm or what??) I told them yesterday that today we’re having a BIRTHDAY PARTY! “Whose birthday?” They asked.
DOES IT MATTER?? Hell, no! At least they laughed. So I’m bringing in cake and stuff and we’ll send out an email to join us for cake. Bring gifts. You can wrap up an office supply in letterhead if you like (or put it in Jello like Jim did Dwight’s stapler)—just bring something to cheer us up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea Emma. I don't like cake, but i like ice cream and punch. i think it's awful to hold people hostage like that for months. reminds me of office space.

jilly

Waltzing Matilda said...

Wait..your job insn't in danger, is it?

Waltzing Matilda said...

Wait..your job insn't in danger, is it?

Anonymous said...

don't worry about emma. she will be just fine. :)

Clank Napper said...

Emma...I haven't seen that episode of the Office with the jelly and the stapler, but they had that incident in the UK version too, and I giggled about it for days.

Waltzing Matilda said...

Spidey, I'm sure you're right, but if her job is in peril, it's still stressful. I wouldn't wish job loss on my worst enemy.

I remember when I was still with DOC and we knew mass lay-offs were coming. There was a sharp increase in people taking off due to blood pressure, chest pain, etc. It's a hell of a thing to do to somebody especially for months at a time.

Anonymous said...

Interesting thing about outsourcing: We have plenty of staff in Manila and Mumbai, however we have had turnover there because the outsourcing company is losing employees to other outsourcing companies servicing the US. It is getting competitive there for outsourcing companies to keep their employees servicing us in the US, and pay/ benefits is ever increasing. Soon, it won't be worth it. My staff is in danger, I'm not. I am at the level of decision making vs. grunt work. However, I disagree with the policy of outsourcing and I think companies should have corporate responsibility in not taking jobs away from the US. - blu

Waltzing Matilda said...

Preach it Blu!!

Anonymous said...

It must be something in the air. The doctors I work for decided that they are not making enough money this year. So no raises for my staff (April is review time) My part timer quit on the spot. Since I have 2 offices open 7 days a week that means more nites and weekends for everyone!! My staff, not to mention all other departments are not happy campers. It's sad. First time in ten years this has ever happened. I am expecting more notices of new jobs. I don't know who is quitting next but I notice alot of whispering. I try to be the happy cheerleader type but I am finding it tough. Oh well we shall see.

Lu