Sunday, May 21, 2006

The DaVinci Code Review

I understand critics are raking it over the coals, but BP and I saw The DaVinci Code last night and we enjoyed it. Is it the greatest movie ever made? No, but it was enjoyable. I think it’s a hard book to translate onto the screen, but Ron Howard did an admirable job. With the use of fade outs and narration, all the “talky” history parts of the book were dealt with. Tom Hanks was alright, as Hanks always is. Audrey Tautou is absolutely adorable. I loved her in Amelie, and I liked her in this one. Ian McKellen stole every scene he was in. And Paul Bettany, who played Silas the monk, was appropriately scary. Jean Reno--the guy who played the French head detective guy--was wonderful.
The sets were well done, with an extra nod at the Louvre playting itself.
My butt did not get tired watching the two hour and a half movie, so I give it an A-

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

tom hanks is never alright you sick woman

UrbanStarGazer said...

I get Da Vinci and Angels and Demons mixed up -- which one is about Jesus' kid?

I like Paul Bettany. He's hot (but probably not as an albino monk).

From the previews I've seen, Hanks is getting old and he does not look good with long hair.

Anonymous said...

DaVinci is Jesus's kid.

Angels & Demons is the bomb & the papal conclave.

Meme said...

Paul Betany was on the Jonathan ross show on friday he was very scathing about the whole da vinci code thing .JR asked him if it turned out like he thought it would and he very sarcastically said Yes exactly as I thought it would

Orbie/\;;/\ said...

Emma... you said it better than I could. We all enjoyed the movie and it took my brain out of a really awful day. It was engrossing and entertaining and I never fidgeted during the movie at all. I didn't even remember it being that long.

Waltzing Matilda said...

I was gonna see it on Friday, but it was sold out. Maybe I'll see it on Wednesday.

Anatole David said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
UrbanStarGazer said...

We saw it on Saturday night and . . . it was enjoyablable but, did they change the ending? I don't remember Sophie being the kid. But, I read Da Vinci and Angels and Demons one right after another and don't remember either of them well.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»